I love everything corn. Corn muffins, corn salad, corn on the cob and especially this Honey Cornbread. Simple and rustic with just enough sweetness, it’s way better than a box of Jiffy mix – and almost as easy to make! And you can easily adapt this recipe for a gluten free diet.
What’s in this Honey Cornbread Recipe
Here is what you’ll need to whip up a quick batch of delicious homemade cornbread:
Cornmeal is naturally gluten free, so the only adaptation you’ll need to make is with the flour you choose. Look for a one-to-one gluten free flour, like Cup4Cup or King Arthur’s Measure for Measure. You can use these gluten free flours the same way you’d use all-purpose flour.
What if you don’t have buttermilk?
There’s no actual butter in buttermilk. Buttermilk is basically just fermented milk, so it has a slightly tangy taste. If you’re dying to make this Honey Cornbread Recipe but you don’t have buttermilk on hand, make this simple substitute:
For every cup of buttermilk the recipe calls for, use one cup of milk minus one tablespoon. Then stir in a tablespoon of lemon juice. Let it sit for a few minutes before using it in the recipe.
What about making muffins with this recipe?
You can definitely make cornbread muffins with this Honey Cornbread Recipe. Just coat a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line it with cupcake liners, fill it 2/3 of the way with batter and bake for 20-25 minutes at the same temperature.
You should get about 1 dozen small cornbread muffins from this recipe.
What to serve with Honey Cornbread
When it comes to this Honey Cornbread, my mind immediately goes to chili and barbecue. There’s nothing like the balance of sweet cornbread and spicy chili or tangy barbecued chicken. But there’s so much more!
When you make this Honey Cornbread Recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more bread recipes, try these:
For more gluten free options, try these:
- Rolled Tacos with Chicken & Cheese
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs with Plum Sauce
The Best Honey Cornbread Recipe (with Gluten Free Option!)
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, combine the buttermilk, eggs, vegetable oil and honey.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Pour batter into the baking dish. Bake 35 minutes (40-45 minutes for gluten free). Use a toothpick to test the center of the cornbread for doneness. Allow to cool in the baking dish before slicing.