What’s in this Ground Turkey Chili
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients in this recipe. You probably already have most of it on hand. The “bones” of this chili are made with ground turkey, beans, green pepper and onion. The rest of the ingredients are just spices!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chili Powder
- Garlic powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Onion powder + dried minced onion
- Salt & pepper
- Masa flour
How to Make Blue Ribbon Turkey Chili
It’s important to pay as much attention to the process as the actual ingredients. You’ll be seasoning it in stages, and the seasonings that you’re adding “to taste” are in addition to what’s provided in the ingredients list. Let’s walk through the process:
- First, measure out all of the dry spices and put them together in a bowl.
- Brown the ground turkey, seasoning to taste as you go. Don’t worry about the measurements when you’re seasoning – just have fun with it.
- Then cook with onions and peppers, seasoning again as you go.
- Finally, you’ll dump all of those spices that you had put in a bowl into the pot along with the tomatoes and beans.
Once it’s all done, just let it simmer on the stove or transfer it to a crockpot to keep warm for hours.
It will be ready to eat right away, but the longer you let it simmer the better it will be. Just be sure to stir it from time to time so that it doesn’t burn the bottom of the pot or slow cooker.
What to serve with Blue Ribbon Turkey Chili
I also can’t live without tortilla chips. And this Blue Ribbon Turkey Chili is perfect for scooping up with a nice, sturdy chip. My recipe for homemade chips is here, or grab a bag of sturdy corn chips from the supermarket.
And when you make this Blue Ribbon Ground Turkey Chili, let me know about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more comfort food recipes, try these:
- Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Cheddar & Lager Beer
- Pesto Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Stew
For more recipes using ground turkey, try these:
Blue Ribbon Ground Turkey Chili
- 1 26 oz. box of Pomi chopped tomatoes
- 1 can dark red kidney beans with juice
- 1 can black beans with juice
- 3 lbs ground turkey 85% – 92% lean
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 Tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 Tbsp. dry minced onion
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp. masa flour
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp. pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese for garnish optional
- sour cream for garnish optional
- diced scallions for garnish optional
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, brown the turkey. Season to taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder as it cooks. Sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. of the Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the pot.
- Add onions and peppers and saute until soft. Add the minced garlic. Season again with salt and pepper and cook until onion is translucent. Add the remaining worcestershire sauce, the spices and browned turkey to the pot, stirring to combine well.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans and masa flour. Simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes and up to several hours.