What is in these Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs
- ground chicken
- chopped water chestnuts
- ground ginger
- soy sauce (choose your favorite gluten free soy sauce for gluten free chicken meatballs)
- chili garlic sauce
What is plum sauce?
Asian plum sauce is a sweet and sour dipping sauce that you can find in a jar in the Asian section of grocery stores.
All we’re really doing is doctoring up jarred plum sauce. Make it on the stove while the easy baked chicken meatballs are in the oven. Here are the ingredients:
What kind of rice should I use for Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs?
The best way to get perfect sticky rice is to use one cup more water than dry rice. For example, use 2 cups of dry rice and 3 cups of water. Using this method, your rice will come out just like you’d get from a Chinese restaurant.
Cook’s Notes for these Chicken Meatballs
If you’re trying to reduce sugar, try the meatballs without the plum sauce over a bowl of cauliflower rice. Doing it this way will give you a totally keto-friendly meal.
You can also swap in ground turkey or beef for the chicken in this recipe.
And these Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs also make an awesome party appetizer. Use 2 tablespoons of meat to form each meatball. Then, dunk them in the plum sauce, place them on a tray and stick them with toothpicks. So fun and bite-sized!
For more better-than-takeout recipes, try these:
- 30 Minute Saucy Ginger Sesame Noodles with Vegetables
- Gluten Free Pad Thai with Shrimp
- Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
For more healthy main dish recipes, try these:
Ginger Soy Chicken Meatballs
- 1 lb. lean ground chicken
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 3 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 Tbsp. gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
- 1 tsp. each white & black sesame seeds
- 4 cups cooked white rice
The Plum Sauce
- 1 cup plum sauce or jelly
- 4 Tbsp. lime juice
- 4 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make the meatball mixture: combine all ingredients except for the sesame seeds and rice in a large bowl. Form the mixture into 12-14 meatballs. Place meatballs in a single layer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 25-30 minutes.
- While the meatballs are baking, make the sauce: Combine all ingredients except the cilantro in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes to thicken. Be sure to whisk the mixture occasionally.
- Place the rice into bowls. Top with meatballs and plum sauce. Garnish with sesame seeds and additional cilantro.