Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
What is Butter Lettuce?
Butter lettuce is also sometimes called Bibb or Boston lettuce. Technically, Bibb and Boston lettuces are both types of butter lettuce. It has wide, green leaves that are less crisp than say, romaine leaves. The leaves are pliable and, well, sort of buttery. They won’t break if you bend them, making them perfect for these Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps.
What’s in Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps?
Any substitutions for ground turkey?
Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 head of butter, Bibb or Boston lettuce, leaves rinsed
- 1 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger minced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 1/2 cup red onion minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots for garnish, optional
- salted peanuts chopped (for garnish, optional)
- Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the onions, ginger and garlic until sizzling. Add the ground turkey and cook through. Use a potato masher to grind the turkey into smaller pieces as it’s cooking.
- Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, brown sugar and chili garlic sauce and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cilantro, mint and scallions. Spoon the turkey mixture into lettuce leaves and top with chopped peanuts, carrots and additional fresh herbs.