Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
What’s in this Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- hoisin sauce
- chili garlic sauce
- rice vinegar
- brown sugar
- dry Sherry
Variations for Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
I use white meat chicken breast here, but for a more authentic flavor you could use boneless skinless thighs. You could also play around with different vegetables – our market sells an Asian veggie blend that is already washed and packaged.
Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
Syrupy, tangy sauce over lean chicken & fresh broccoli gives you the best of Chinese takeout healthfully at home
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed
- 2 bunches of broccoli cleaned and cut into florets
- 4 cups cooked white or Jasmine rice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry Sherry
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 4 tsp. chili garlic sauce
- 3 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 Tbsp. sesame oil
- 4 tsp. garlic minced
- 4 tsp. fresh ginger minced
- 3 scallions diced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds optional
- In a small bowl, toss the cubed chicken with the cornstarch. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Add the broccoli and continue cooking until the broccoli softens. Lower heat to a simmer.
- Whisk all remaining ingredients except for sesame seeds together in a bowl. Pour the mixture into the skillet and toss with to combine with the chicken and broccoli. Simmer until the sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Heat a small pan over low heat. Add the sesame seeds and cook until they start to turn a golden color and become fragrant. Make sure to move the seeds around the pan to toast them evenly. Remove from heat.
- Distribute rice among 4-5 serving bowls. Top with the chicken and broccoli, toasted sesame seeds and diced scallions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply