There was a time in my life when I was more than willing to sacrifice flavor and texture for something healthier. Something that tasted “close enough” to the real thing but was lower in fat or calories was totally acceptable. These days, not so much. I would rather eat less of something than eat a “fake” version of the real thing. I think it’s most difficult to lower fat and calories in baked goods and have them taste the same. It’s much easier with cooking. So these Healthy Banana Nut Muffins needed to taste just as good as the full fat version, or I wasn’t eating them and I certainly wasn’t sharing the recipe with anyone.
The Big Guy used to make a healthier version of muffins that were gluten free, dairy free and made with fruit purees instead of oils and butter. They were actually very good. He called them Mighty Muffins. I love that name!
What makes these muffins so mighty?
Here are some modifications I made to these Healthy Banana Nut Muffins in order to keep great flavor and texture but healthify them a little:
- swap gluten free flour in for all-purpose flour
- swap raw honey in for refined sugar
- swap coconut milk in for buttermilk
- mashed bananas fill in for vegetable oil
We’re also throwing in some dark chocolate, a powerful antioxidant that is also rich in iron and magnesium. And we’re adding pecans, a great source of protein, fiber and healthy fats.
How to make these Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
Make these muffins just as you would regular muffins. Whisk the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then, fold in the nuts and chocolate. It really couldn’t be easier.
I love making bakery-style muffins in my jumbo muffin tin. This recipe will give you about 10 big guys. If you’re using a standard size muffin tin, you can get almost 20 out of this recipe!
Keep some out for the family and freeze the rest. They reheat really nicely. I’ve been loving giving the kids home-baked muffins on school days, knowing I’m starting them off on a healthy foot (without them knowing it, of course).
If you love these Mighty Muffins as much as we do, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Happy, healthy baking!
Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut milk, eggs, honey, bananas and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips.
- Fill the muffin tin 2/3 of the way full. Bake 25-28 minutes. If using a jumbo muffin tin, increase baking time to 35 minutes.