Zucchini muffins and breads are such a delightful part of late summer/early fall. I love adding pecans and raisins into my zucchini recipes to make them taste similar to carrot cake. But the ultimate add-in is chocolate. These Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins are naturally dairy free and can easily be modified for gluten free diets. So earthy and wholesome, they’re a great way to transition from summer to fall before going full throttle into pumpkin spice everything.
What’s in these Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
Here is what you’ll need to make these muffins:
- grated zucchini
- semisweet chocolate chips
- all-purpose or gluten free flour
- vegetable oil
- dry ingredients like cinnamon, salt and baking soda
If you want to keep this recipe dairy free, be sure to choose a chocolate chip that is also dairy free.
I’m always super psyched when I can bake something without taking out my stand mixer or even electric hand mixer. For these Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins all you need is a good ol’ wooden spoon. Mix ’em up and bake.
Baking with Zucchini
How to store Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
During zucchini season, I’ll bake batches of muffins and breads and freeze them. These muffins freeze beautifully. It’s a good idea to wrap them individually in plastic wrap and then in a freezer bag. Doing this offers a double layer of protection against freezer burn.
For more zucchini recipes, try these:
- Zucchini Rollatini with Summer Marinara
- Pan-Fried Zucchini Cakes
- Best-Ever Cinnamon Zucchini Bread w/Pecans
For more muffin recipes, try these:
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Muffins
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins with Citrus Crumble
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, water, sugar, oil and lemon juice. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined. Fold in the grated zucchini and chocolate chunks.
- Fill each muffin tin 2/3 of the way. Bake 30-35 minutes.