Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
How to Make Zucchini Rollatini
Choosing the Zucchini – How Big is too Big?
Tips for Success
Zucchini Rollatini with Summer Marinara
Garden fresh zucchini with Italian seasonings and creamy ricotta and mozzarella cheeses
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 15 oz. ricotta cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese divided
- 4 eggs divided
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup loosely-packed fresh basil chopped
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- Using a mandoline or by hand, slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin sheets, about 1/4 inch thick. Arrange 3 shallow bowls next to each other on the counter. In the first bowl, put the flour. In the second bowl, put 4 of the eggs and beat them. In the third bowl, put the breadcrumbs.
- Coat a large skillet generously with olive oil and set it over medium-low heat. Take a zucchini sheet and dredge it in the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Place it into the oil. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Remove onto a paper towel-lined tray. Repeat with all of the zucchini.
- Make the Summer Marinara: In a saucepan, saute the garlic in the olive oil over medium-low heat until the garlic sizzles and starts to turn golden. Stir in the tomatoes, wine, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spoon out enough sauce to coat the bottom of an 8×8 baking dish.
- Assemble the rollatini: In a bowl, stir the remaining egg with the ricotta and 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Stir in the dried herbs. Spread each strip of zucchini with a thin layer of the cheese mixture. Roll up, and arrange side by side in the baking dish. Cover with additional sauce and remaining cup of mozzarella cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Serve with additional marinara sauce.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!