Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
How to make this Bananas Foster Layer Cake
How to make the frosting
Bananas Foster Layer Cake
Moist, light banana cake smothered in a boozy fosters buttercream to combine the best of 2 desserts!
- 5 cups flour
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 3 sticks + 3 Tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature
- 5 eggs
- 3 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups mashed ripe bananas about 7-8 medium sized
- 2 cups sour cream
The Fosters Buttercream Frosting
- 24 oz. confectioners sugar
- 3 sticks salted butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp. dark rum
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare four 8-inch round cake pans: using parchment paper, trace the circle of the cake pan and cut out four parchment circles. Spray the bottom of the cake pans with nonstick cooking spray, then lay one parchment circle down in each pan. Spray the parchment again with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a stand or electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- Using a low speed on the mixer, add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and beat until just combined. Then add the bananas and sour cream and stir until just combined.
- Measure out 3 cups of batter for each of the 4 cake pans. Pour the batter into the pans and give them a little shimmy to level out the batter. Bake for 55-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting: beat the confectioners sugar and salted butter together in a large bowl until creamy. Place the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat, and allow to melt together until smooth. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Pour 1/2 to 3/4 of the foster sauce into the buttercream and beat until combined. The consistency should be spreadable. Reserve the remaining foster sauce to drizzle over the top.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply