Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
These Coconut Corn Muffins are the grown-up version of my childhood favorite. There’s nothing like a warm, golden corn muffin, slathered with butter. These guys are moist, wholesome and naturally dairy-free.
Are corn muffins healthy?
I wouldn’t call these Coconut Corn Muffins “healthy” as much as I’d call them “healthier” than a traditional muffin. Here’s why:
- Some of the refined flour is replaced with cornmeal, which is a richer source of whole grains
- Dairy milk is replaced with non-dairy coconut milk, a good source of healthy fats called MCTs
- Because cornmeal is naturally sweet, you can reduce the added sugar in a corn muffin (or cornbread) recipe
Substituting coconut milk for regular milk
If you’re like me, you grab buttermilk when you’re making muffins. It’s my go-to ingredient! But you can substitute coconut milk for buttermilk or regular milk in equal proportions and achieve very consistent results.
Coconut milk is creamy and luxurious, really nice to bake with. And the end result is a dairy-free baked good that tastes amazing! (Until you slather it with butter, of course).
What you need to make Coconut Corn Muffins
- all-purpose or gluten-free flour
- stone-ground cornmeal
- coconut milk
- shredded coconut
- vegetable oil
- dry ingredients like baking soda and salt
A simple two-bowl method – one for wet ingredients and the other for dry ingredients – will get these Coconut Corn Muffins baking in no time. Simply combine the two bowls and mix well. Done and done.
Modifications for this corn muffin recipe
I love making bakery style muffins in a jumbo muffin tin that makes six or seven big boys. But if you’re a normal person who likes normal serving sizes, you’ll get a cool dozen standard sized muffins out of this recipe.
For more muffin recipes, try these:
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins with Citrus Crumble
- Chocolate Chunk Zucchini Muffins
- Cranberry Orange Crumb Muffins
For more dairy-free recipes, try these:
Coconut Corn Muffins (or Cornbread)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 14 oz. can of coconut milk
- 3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the coconut milk, eggs, sugar and oil together. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine. Fold in the shredded coconut.
- Fill a greased 12-cup muffin tin 2/3 way full with batter. Bake 15 minutes.