I had always assumed that making my own pumpkin butter would be similar to making my own apple butter – pretty easy for the most part, but an all-day wait for it to be ready. And it probably would take all day if we were using fresh pumpkin in this easy homemade Pumpkin Butter, but we’re not.
Using canned pumpkin cuts the prep time by more than half, and you’ll quickly be enjoying this rich, velvety homemade Pumpkin Butter that’s just bursting with fall flavors.
Is Pumpkin Butter healthy?
Pumpkin Butter does, however, contain some sugar. But if you’re okay with it, then so am I! Let’s get into how it’s made.
How to make Easy Homemade Pumpkin Butter
- canned pumpkin
- apple cider
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- ground nutmeg
- ground allspice
What to eat with Pumpkin Butter
- On a seasonal cheese board
- Stirred into a bourbon cocktail
- Spread on a simple piece of toast (challah is my favorite!)
- On my Pumpkin Burrata Toasts with Fig & Crispy Sage
- Tossed with ravioli or gnocchi
For more pumpkin recipes, try these:
- Creamy Pumpkin Mac and Cheese with Cheddar & Lager Beer
- Bakery Style Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Pecan Ice Cream Pie
For more healthy-ish recipes, try these:
- Best Ever Cinnamon Zucchini Bread with Pecans
- Stovetop Chicken with Wild Rice & Mushrooms
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
How to Make Pumpkin Butter Using Canned Pumpkin
- 2 cans pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. clove
- 1/8 tsp. allspice
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, at least 30 minutes or up to one hour.