‘Tis the season for festive fall drinks! And this Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Cocktail with Ginger and Orange is at the top of our list. It’s a cozy combination of pumpkin butter, ginger simple syrup and orange juice mixed with warming bourbon whiskey. It’s so delicious for fall, and makes a great holiday sipper.
What’s in this Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Cocktail
I’m all about repurposing ingredients, so what you’ll need for this cocktail are things that can be used in many other recipes – drinks and otherwise. Here’s the list:
- quality bourbon
- pumpkin butter
- orange juice
- ginger simple syrup (recipe below)
- pumpkin pie spice (for rimming the glass)
Pumpkin butter is something everyone should have in the house during these fall months. There’s no real butter in it. It’s just a smooth, spreadable combination of pumpkin puree and lots of delicious fall spices. You can find it in stores, or make my quick recipe.
Ginger simple syrup is another super quick recipe that you can keep in the fridge all season long. Stir it into all kinds of drinks! In addition to bourbon, it’s delicious in vodka and gin cocktails. I’ve even been sweetening my tea with it.
How to make this Pumpkin Bourbon Cocktail
Once the pumpkin butter and ginger simple syrup are prepped, the rest of making this Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Cocktail is easy.
Start by placing the pumpkin butter, ginger syrup and orange juice into a shaker or glass jar with a lid. Shake it up so that the pumpkin butter distributes. It won’t completely dissolve.
Then, stir in the bourbon.
What is a good bourbon for mixed drinks?
My husband is a huge bourbon drinker. As such, there are a whole lot of bottles in our house that I’m not allowed to touch. Rude, right?
It’s okay. It makes sense not to use a super expensive bourbon in a mixed drink.
Here are some good bourbons at decent price points that I’d recommend for mixing into cocktails:
If you’re new to bourbon, do some taste testing with a few different bottles. It’s a fun activity in the name of research!
And when you make this Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Cocktail, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Cheers!
For more seasonal drink recipes, try these:
For more bourbon cocktail recipes, try these:
Pumpkin Pie Bourbon Cocktail with Ginger and Orange
- 2 oz. bourbon whiskey
- 2 Tbsp. pumpkin butter
- 2 oz. orange juice
- 3 tsp. ginger simple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- orange peel and cinnamon stick garnish, optional
Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh ginger peeled and chopped
- Make the ginger simple syrup: Bring water and sugar to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat
- Stir in the ginger. Allow to steep for at least 30 minutes. Strain into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
- Make the cocktail: Place pumpkin butter, orange juice and ginger syrup in a cocktail shaker or glass jar with a lid. Shake vigorously so distribute the pumpkin butter.
- Combine the sugar and pumpkin pie spice in a shallow dish. Moisten the rim of a rocks glass with water or orange juice. Dip into the pumpkin pie spice mixture.
- Pour pumpkin mixture into the glass. Add the bourbon and stir gently to combine. Fill the glass with ice. Garnish with orange peel and cinnamon stick.