Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: N/A
A grazing board fully loaded with Mediterranean snacks and appetizers is like summer on a plate. The ingredients are fresh, simple and seasonal. This vegetarian Summer Greek Mezze Platter is one of my favorite ways to relax and enjoy the slower pace of summer.
What is a mezze platter?
A mezze is essentially an assortment of small plates that are served together and intended for sharing. They are commonly found in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern settings. A mezze platter can have a whole host of ingredients, but my favorite ones always include:
How do you pronounce “mezze”?
The answer isn’t as straightforward as you might expect (or hope). If you asked someone of Lebanese descent, they may pronounce it “meh-ZEH” or “MEH-zeh”. If you asked a Greek or Turkish person, they may say “MEH-zee” or “MEH-zay”.
The cool takeaway here is that the mezze platter spans countries and cultures, so there isn’t really a right or wrong way to say it.
What is on this platter?
Here’s what you’ll need to build this vegetarian Mediterranean feast:
- Homemade Lemon Hummus with Tahini (this is my recipe, or you can use store bought hummus)
- Tzatziki Sauce (again, my recipe, or use store bought)
- Stuffed grape leaves (dolmades)
- Assorted Greek olives
- Quality feta cheese
- Crispy Chickpeas
- Pocketless pita or flatbread
You can buy everything on this list at most supermarkets, which makes things even easier. But if you do feel like upping your game, click the links on this list for the homemade versions.
Our local supermarket has a great Mediterranean bar, which I see more and more in supermarkets. So I’ll fill a container with an assortment of Greek olives and maybe some cornichons. Also, any fresh veggies you like can be thrown onto a Greek Mezze Platter.
If you have the time and the inclination to make fresh pita bread, it’s totally worth it. If not, grab pocketless pita from the supermarket and cut it into triangles. Why pocketless? Because it’s much softer and more pillowy than regular pita.
How to Serve the Summer Greek Mezze Platter
If you make this Summer Greek Mezze Platter, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more Mediterranean-inspired recipes, try these:
- Greek-style Swordfish Santorini
- Chicken Souvlaki Sandwich with Halloumi Fries
- Greek Panzanella Salad w/Fresh Oregano Vinaigrette
For more Vegetarian Appetizers, try these:
Summer Greek Mezze Platter (Vegetarian Appetizers)
- Pour tzatziki sauce into a serving bowl. Place olives, peppers and some of the cubed feta into a separate serving bowl.
- Spread hummus directly onto a large serving tray. Garnish with crispy chickpeas. Place serving bowls of tzatziki and olives onto the tray. Arrange stuffed grape leaves, remaining chickpeas and feta around them.
- Slice the pita into triangles and arrange them on the platter. Garnish with fresh dill, oregano and parsley.