Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
What is Souvlaki?
What’s the difference between Souvlaki and Gyros?
How to build a Chicken Souvlaki Sandwich with Halloumi “Fries”
Choosing the right pita for your Chicken Souvlaki Sandwich
Chicken Souvlaki Sandwich with Halloumi “Fries”
Seasoned chicken, grilled vegetables and salty cheese "fries" inside fluffy pita bread
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 pieces of pocketless pita bread
- 8 leaves of romaine lettuce
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 orange bell pepper
- 8 oz. halloumi cheese
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano or 1 Tbsp. dried
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and garlic. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the olive oil until incorporated. Stir in the oregano. Pour into a ziplock bag.
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and place in ziplock bag. Seal and shake the bag to insure all chicken is coated with the marinade. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill or oven to 375 degrees. Thread the chicken onto wooden skewers. If baking in the oven, spread chicken evenly onto a baking sheet.
- Slice peppers into strips and spread evenly onto a separate baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place chicken and peppers on the grill or in the oven at the same time. If grilling, turn the chicken occasionally to insure even cooking.
- Grill time for peppers will be about 20 minutes and chicken about 25-30 minutes. Bake time (in oven) for peppers will be 20 minutes and chicken closer to 40 minutes. Remove chicken from skewers after cooking.
- While chicken and peppers are cooking, heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Slice the halloumi into strips and fry, flipping the cheese strips for even cooking. Once the cheese is browned, remove from the pan.
- To assemble, lay pita flat and place a leaf of lettuce in the center. Layer chicken, peppers and halloumi in the center of the pita, then fold over each side, one over the other. Drizzle with tzatziki.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!