Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
What’s in this Chicken Orzo Soup?
The chicken makes this soup much more of a balanced meal. And the greens make it even healthier. I use baby spinach because it’s mild, nutrient-packed and the whole family will eat it. If I tried coming at them with kale or swiss chard there would be a full-on revolt. But just pick a dark, leafy green of your choice.
What you need for the homemade Italian seasoning
Italian Chicken Orzo Egg Drop Soup
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 2 cups dry orzo pasta
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 quarts chicken broth
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese
- Italian seasoning see below
- 2 Tbsp. parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Combine all of the ingredients for the Italian Seasoning in a shallow bowl. Coat chicken in the seasoning, pressing to adhere. Heat oil over medium heat in a nonstick pan. Brown the chicken, 5-7 minutes per side, until cooked through. Remove chicken onto a cutting board and shred with forks.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large stockpot. Beat the eggs and pour them into a glass measuring cup, or anything that has a spout. Add orzo to the broth. and cook 1 minute. Lower heat to a simmer and pour in the egg. Add the chicken and spinach.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.