Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
What’s the difference between a calzone and a stromboli?
What’s in this Sausage & Pesto Calzone?
How to serve this Sausage & Pesto Calzone
Sausage & Pesto Calzone
Golden, crusty pizza dough filled with spicy sausage, garlicky, herby pesto sauce and melty cheese
- 1 package of premade pizza dough
- 2-3 links of hot Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup pesto sauce
- 3 slices provolone cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
The Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Remove the sausage from the casings. Over medium heat, brown the sausage in a frying pan, breaking it up into small pieces as it cooks. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On a well floured surface, roll the pizza dough into the shape of a rectangle. Spread the pesto sauce lengthwise down the center of the dough. Layer the provolone slices on top of the pesto sauce, followed by the sausage and 3/4 cup of mozzarella.
- Roll the dough from the bottom left corner to the top right corner, taking care to keep all of the fillings inside. Transfer the dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush the dough with olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and a generous amount of Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, until the crust is golden.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply