I’ve taken the long way and I’ve taken the short cut and believe me, the short cut is better. There’s no shame in taking a short cut from time to time, and this Easy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream is a great example. You won’t need condensed milk, an ice cream maker or even a hand mixer to make this delicious homemade ice cream. Let’s get started!
How to make Ice Cream without an Ice Cream Maker
If you’ve ever made ice cream using an ice cream maker, you know how deliciously rewarding it can be. But you also know how long of a process it is. I’m talking at least 24 hours. Between freezing the ice cream container to making the custard on the stove top, letting it cool, churning the ice cream and then waiting for it to freeze, it’s very long.
We all rejoiced at the advent of no-churn ice cream, which enabled those of us without ice cream makers to proudly join the ranks of homemade ice cream creators.
But this Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream isn’t made with an ice cream maker or with the no-churn method. Nope, we are seriously cheating on this one. And I’m ok with it, because the end result is so delicious!
Find your favorite brand of vanilla ice cream. Like, the highest quality you can find. It will be the base for this ice cream. Then, we’re swirling in homemade strawberry jam (it’s easy, I promise), fresh strawberries and chopped up semisweet chocolate.
Just wait till it firms up in the freezer and voila!
What you need to make Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
As promised, you won’t need any special equipment or ingredients to make this Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Here is all you’ll need:
- quality vanilla bean ice cream
- fresh strawberries
- semisweet chocolate chunks
- lemon juice
The homemade strawberry jam comes together in less than 15 minutes on the stove. You can make it while you’re waiting for the ice cream to soften. It will be sweet, so use it sparingly in the ice cream if you don’t have a big sweet tooth.
Any extra jam can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
I hope you love this super easy, semi-homemade, quasi-cheating recipe for Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream! And if you do, I’d love to hear about it. Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more ice cream recipes, try these:
- No-Churn Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- Salted Caramel Ice Cream Mud Pie
- No-Churn Matcha Latte Ice Cream
For more strawberry recipes, try these:
- Strawberry Ice Cream Pretzel Pie
- Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
- Champagne Cupcakes with Strawberry Buttercream
Easy Strawberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream (No Ice Cream Maker)
- 1.5 quarts vanilla ice cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries hulled & cut into small pieces
- 1 cup strawberry jam recipe below
- 1 cup chocolate chunks
- 2 cups strawberries hulled and sliced
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Empty the ice cream into a large mixing bowl and let it soften at room temperature. Place the container that you want to store your ice cream in into the freezer.
- Make the jam: Bring the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a boil in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat to medium-low and allow to cook down, smashing the strawberries with a wooden spoon. It will thicken in about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. It will continue to thicken off heat.
- Give the chocolate chunks a rough chop and add them to the mixing bowl of ice cream. Stir in the strawberry pieces. Remove the storage container from the freezer and pour the ice cream into the container.
- Dot spoonfuls of jam onto the surface of the ice cream. Using a knife, swirl the jam through the ice cream. Cover and freeze until firm.
Leave a Reply