Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
How to make Strawberry Ice Cream Pretzel Pie
The pretzel crust is what forms the base of this sweet and salty pie from heaven. It’s a bit more challenging than a crust made of cookies or graham crackers because pretzels have less moisture. So, be prepared for a lot of crumble. And it’s ok. First, try to get the pretzels ground really fine in the food processor. Sometimes I get nervous that I’ll go too far when I use my food processor, but don’t worry about it with pretzels. Get them to the consistency of coarse sand. Then just press them really well into the springform pan. After you bake the crust, go back over it with a spoon or spatula while its still warm. Press again, and don’t worry if it’s not perfect. Then, leave it alone. Let it cool completely before you pour the filling in.
Making the Homemade Chocolate Shell Topping
Strawberry Ice Cream Pretzel Pie
- 8 oz. miniature pretzels
- 10 Tbsp. butter
- 1.5 quarts quality vanilla ice cream
- 2 cups strawberries hulled
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place a 9″ springform pan on top of a sheet of parchment paper. Trace the circle of the pan and cut it out. Place parchment circle on the bottom of the pan. Coat the parchment and sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pulse pretzels in a food processor until they are the consistency of coarse sand. Melt the butter in the microwave in 20 second intervals until completely melted. With the motor running on low speed, pour the butter through the feed tube until combined. Dump the pretzel mixture into the springform pan. Using wet hands, press the crumbs onto the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Don’t worry if it is very crumbly. Bake 8-10 minutes.
- While the crust is still warm, press it into the pan again using a metal spoon or spatula. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it thaw on the countertop while you make the strawberry jam. Combine the strawberries, lemon juice, water and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to thicken, using a wooden spoon to break up the strawberries into smaller pieces. Simmer 15 minutes and remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature. The jam can also be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for future use.
- Pour the softened ice cream into the cooled pretzel crust. Gently swirl in the jam using a knife. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 2 hours.
- To make the chocolate shell, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 30 second intervals until completely melted. Stir in the coconut oil. Pour over the frozen pie and press additional pretzels into the shell quickly. Refreeze for later, or serve immediately.
Leave a Reply