Prep Time: 30 minutes + chilling
Cook Time: N/A
What’s in this Salted Caramel Ice Cream Pie?
How do you make a Salted Caramel Mud Pie?
Making the Homemade Whipped Cream
Making whipped cream at home is easy but often messy. Get a bowl bigger than you think you need and put it in your kitchen sink. Pour the cold cream and sugar into the bowl and use an electric hand mixer on high speed to whip it good. Placing the cream in an extra large bowl inside the kitchen sink will help catch a lot of the inevitable splatter. You’ll need to beat the cream for at least 7 or 8 minutes to get those stiff peaks to form, so protect yourself against the splatter as best you can.
Salted Caramel Ice Cream Mud Pie
- 8 oz. chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 1.5 quarts coffee ice cream
- 5 oz. semisweet chocolate chips
- 12 oz. jar of caramel
- 2 Tbsp. flaky sea salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove the ice cream from the freezer and let it soften on the countertop.
- Lay an 8 or 9-inch springform pan on top of a piece of parchment paper. Trace the circle of the pan and cut out. Place the parchment circle inside the pan. Coat the bottom and sides of the pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, pulse the cookies until fine. With the motor running on low, pour the melted butter in until combined. Dump the cookie crumbs into the springform pan. Using your fingers, press firmly down and up the sides of the pan. It might be crumbly, and that’s ok. Bake 8-10 minutes.
- If the crust has bubbled, use the back of a metal spoon to press it back down and up the sides of the pan while still warm. Allow to cool completely before filling.
- Put the softened ice cream into a large bowl. Microwave the chocolate chips in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth. Pour evenly over the ice cream. Quickly, using a knife, stir the chocolate into the ice cream. It will start to freeze right away. Pour the ice cream into the crust. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 1 hour.
- Remove the pie from the freezer and top with the caramel sauce, using a knife or spoon to spread evenly. Sprinkle with sea salt. (At this point, you can cover and refreeze until ready to serve, or serve immediately).
- To make the whipped cream, beat the heavy cream and sugar on high speed with an electric handheld mixer until stiff peaks form, about 6-7 minutes. Top with pie with the whipped cream just before serving.