Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
How to make Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
Making homemade strawberry jam
Making the whipped cream for this Strawberry Shortcake
Making your own whipped cream is a no brainer. It’s just too easy. It’s actually the easiest part of this Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake. And swirled with fresh strawberry puree, you’ll have a pink-tinted cream that is picture perfect.
Whenever I make whipped cream, I find the biggest mixing bowl I have. Then I put it down into my kitchen sink. Using a bowl bigger than you think you need and keeping it in the sink will help reduce the inevitable splatter that occurs when you start beating it with a hand mixer. It takes about 8-10 minutes of beating the heavy cream and sugar on high speed before you get the stiff peaks, so be patient.
Then, puree some of the fresh strawberries in a blender (the rest will be sliced and arranged on the cake). Gently swirl the strawberry puree through the whipped cream. The color is so pretty!
Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
The Cake (makes 3 layers)
- 3 sticks unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups miniature chocolate chips
- 2 1/4 cups sliced strawberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
The Whipped Cream
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 8 oz. sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. With the mixer on low speed, pour the flour mixture in, alternating with the milk, until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray three 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Divide the batter evenly between cake pans and bake 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.
- To make the jam, bring the strawberries, sugar and lemon juice to a boil in a small saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat to medium-low and allow to cook down, smashing the strawberries with a wooden spoon. It will thicken in about 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. It will continue to thicken off heat.
- To make the whipped cream, first puree the strawberries in a blender until smooth. It should yield 1/2 cup of puree. Using an electric hand mixer or stand mixer on high speed, whip the cream and sugar together until stiff peaks form, about 10-12 minutes. Beat in the strawberry puree.
- To assemble the cake, spread a layer of jam onto the first layer of cake, followed by 3/4 cup of sliced strawberries. Top with whipped cream. Repeat for the second layer of cake. For the top layer, spread the jam, followed by the whipped cream and arrange the final 3/4 cup of sliced strawberries on top. Garnish with additional mini chocolate chips.
Leave a Reply