Allow me to introduce you to one of my favorite and most popular cakes. This Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake Recipe has got it all!
It starts with a moist, spongey layer of yogurt cake studded with miniature chocolate chips. Then, there’s an uber-thick layer of cinnamony streusel. Then, the whole thing is drizzled with even more chocolate.
This one goes out to all the fruit dessert haters out there, and you know who you are. You’re the ones who can take a perfectly beautiful apple pie, lemon cake or fruit tart and say something like, “This would be so much better if there was chocolate in it.”
I have a few such haters in my very own house. It’s tough to blame them. After all, chocolate is awesome. And so is this Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake.
What is the difference between crumb cake and coffee cake?
The main difference between crumb cake and coffee cake is amount of streusel topping. Coffee cake has less streusel topping, and crumb cake has a chunkier layer of streusel.
For example, a New York crumb cake recipe might call for the crumb layer to be as thick as the cakey layer!
And this Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake is all about that topping. You get that buttery crumb goodness going on in every bite.
In fact, when I first made this cake and started sprinkling the sweet crumb topping over the batter, I wondered if it was too much?
Noooo. Not too much. Too perfect.
What’s in this Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake Recipe
This single layer cake recipe is very simple to create. Here is what you’ll need:
- All purpose flour, or use your favorite gluten free flour for a gluten free option
- Unsalted butter
- Greek yogurt. Some crumb and coffee cake recipes (including my own) call for sour cream instead of yogurt. Both are delicious and can usually be used interchangeably. In this recipe, the yogurt makes the cake layer a bit lighter and more tangy.
- Miniature Chocolate Chips. You can use regular-sized chocolate chips too. I just like the mini ones because they remind me of the Entenmenn’s cakes that we’d have as kids.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
The ingredients for the crumble topping are basically a repeat of the cake ingredients, just in different amounts:
How to make the perfect crumb topping
The key to that nice, thick crumb layer is melted butter. Using melted butter vs. butter that’s cold or at room temperature makes a major difference in the result.
If you use cold or softened butter, the crumb mixture will sink into the cake during baking.
But if you start with melted butter and work it into the flour and sugar the same way, when you sprinkle it over the cake batter it will stay put.
A lot of bloggers and bakers could tell you the exact science behind why melted butter won’t sink but cold butter will. I’m not a scientist, but I just know I’ve tried it both ways and melted is the right way.
How to serve this Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake
So many great recipes are also uncomplicated recipes, and this cake is in that category.
Just bake it up and cut it into squares. It’s amazing with a cup of coffee in the morning or for dessert at night. And the 9×13 size means you can feed a crowd.
Any leftovers can easily be stored in an airtight container for several days. This cake also freezes well.
When you bake this Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more easy cake recipes, try these:
For more chocolatey bakes, try these:
- Chocolate Chip Strawberry Shortcake
- Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Swirled Cream
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Crumb Cake Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose or gluten free flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups miniature chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
The Crumb Topping
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 sticks unsalted butter melted
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
The Chocolate Glaze
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 3 tsp. milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the butter and sugars together until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- With the mixer on low speed, add half of the flour mixture to the creamed mixture until combined. Add the Greek yogurt and mix until combined. Beat in the remaining flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the prepared batter into the baking dish.
- To make the crumb topping, combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and work together with a fork or your fingers. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter. Bake 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Leave a Reply