What’s in this Apple Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Here is what you’ll need to make this celebration of fall:
How to make the apple filling for this coffee cake
For baking, I recommend Gala, Fiji or Winesap apples. Avoid Granny Smith (too tart) and Macintosh (too mushy).
The Brown Sugar Crumb Topping
For more apple recipes, try these:
- Apple Butter Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Cinnamon Apple Ice Cream Pie
- Mom’s Best Homemade Jewish Apple Cake
For more fall bakes, try these:
Apple Cinnamon Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Spongey coffee cake with ribbons of cinnamony apples running through it, topped with a buttery brown sugar crumble
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups sugar divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups apples peeled, cored and diced into small pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
The Crumb Topping
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter melted
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Bring the apples, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon to a boil in a small saucepan. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened and apples are very soft, 15-20 minutes. Remove from heat. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter, sugar and eggs together until fluffy. Blend in the sour cream and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until combined. Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Drop spoonfuls of the apple mixture onto the cake batter. Using a knife, swirl the apple mixture evenly into the cake batter.
- In a small bowl, use your hands to mix all of the topping ingredients together until crumbly. Sprinkle evenly over the cake batter. Bake 40 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!