I’m always a yes to anything with blueberries. Blueberry pancakes? Yes. Blueberry muffins? Yes. Blueberry pie? Yes please. But my oh my, this Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake is at the very top of my list! It really is the best crumb cake!
The blueberry flavors just jump right out of this cake. It’s moist, sweet and fruity with the most irresistible buttery crumb topping.
And although it’s technically called a cake, I love it in the morning with a cup of coffee.
Crumb Cake vs. Coffee Cake
The main difference between crumb cake and coffee cake is the amount of streusel topping. Coffee cake has less streusel topping, and crumb cake has a chunkier layer of streusel.
This Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake is a New York crumb cake recipe, so the crumb layer is almost as thick as the cake layer itself!
What’s in this Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake
There are three parts to this cake: the cake, the blueberry jam and the crumb layer. Here’s what you’ll need:
- All purpose flour, or use your favorite gluten free flour for a gluten free option
- Unsalted butter
- Sour Cream. This is tied with buttermilk for my favorite baking ingredient. When added to coffee cake recipes, sour cream makes for an insanely moist texture and rich flavor. It’s very bomb.
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown Sugar
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
The homemade blueberry jam
The jam is easy to make and doesn’t require any special equipment or ingredients. It’s sweet and bursting with fresh blueberry flavor. And you’ll only need 3 ingredients:
- lemon juice
If you didn’t put the jam into this Blueberry Jam Sour Cream Crumb Cake, you could easily spread it onto a slice of toast or biscuit in the morning.
The Crumb Topping
The ingredients for the sweet crumb topping are also found in the cake batter, just in different amounts:
How to get the perfect crumb topping
The crumb topping is really what makes a good crumb cake. The key to a really great streusel crumb topping is to use melted butter.
Cold butter creates a perfect pastry or biscuit dough, but cold butter will also melt as the cake bakes, causing the streusel topping to sink into the cake.
When you want to have a crumble topping sit on top of the batter and stay that way throughout baking, make it with melted butter.
How to Store Crumb Cake
The best way to keep this cake fresh for several days is to store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
You can also put it in the refrigerator, but doing so will make the cake firmer. If you’ve kept in the fridge, let it come to room temperature before enjoying it again.
This cake also freezes very well. Wrap individual pieces in plastic wrap and then place them into a freezer bag for double protection against freezer burn.
This Blueberry Jam Sour Cream Crumb Cake is a perfectly moist cake with jammy layers of berry running all through it and a buttery crumble that will never sink into the batter.
For dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or at breakfast time with hot coffee, you’ll love this sweet treat.
And when you make it, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more crumb cake recipes, try these:
For more blueberry recipes, try these:
- Easy Blueberry Bread Pudding with Cream Cheese & Brioche
- Blueberry Lemon Muffins with Citrus Crumble
- Blueberry Almond Zucchini Bread
The Best Blueberry Sour Cream Crumb Cake (New York Style)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (12Tbsp) room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 3/4 cups sugar divided
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
The Crumb Topping
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter melted
- In a small saucepan, bring blueberries, 3/4 cup sugar and lemon juice to a boil. Lower heat to medium and allow to cook until sugar dissolves and berries begin to soften. Use a wooden spoon to mash up some of the blueberries, leaving some berries whole.
- Cook on medium low heat for 15-20 minutes, until mixture has thickened and coats the back of the wooden spoon. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. It will thicken as it cools. (This yields about 1 cup of jam.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl using a stand mixer or an electric hand mixer, cream the butter and 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla, then the sour cream.
- In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Pour the blueberry jam evenly over the batter and use a knife to swirl it through.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the crumb mixture in a medium bowl and work it together with a fork or your fingers. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly across the top of the cake. Bake for 40 minutes.