It’s official – I’ve jumped on the butter board bandwagon! The viral TikTok and Instagram trend that I originally thought was silly has now taken over our lives, and we can’t get enough. From sweet to savory versions, butter boards are a fun and easy way to entertain yourself and your guests. We are loving this Butter Board Recipe with Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes. It is stone cold addictive.
What is a butter board?
A butter board is butter. On a board. I know. Can you even call it an actual recipe?
A butter board starts with quality butter – think French or Irish. Then, garnish it with your choice of sweet or savory toppings like honey, nuts, jams or fruits. Serve it with breads, crackers, even fruits and veggies for dipping.
So basically, instead of spreading butter onto something, you’re dipping your something into the butter.
How to make this Butter Board Recipe with Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes
Here’s what you’ll need to make this savory and completely addicting butter board:
Start with salted butter at room temperature. If you’re watching your salt intake, you can go with unsalted butter because the pesto sauce will add enough salt. But I like the salted kind cause yum.
Whip the butter and pesto sauce together in a food processor until it’s fluffy. Then spread it onto a wooden or marble cutting board.
Roast the tomatoes and toast the bread in the oven at the same time – super quick and easy.
As soon as the warm tomatoes hit the butter, it will start to melt a little. And really, is there anything more heavenly than melted pesto butter? Omg.
Topping Ideas for Butter Boards
You can go pretty wild with toppings for a butter board. Here are a few that I’m dreaming up and will probably be rolling out soon:
Sweet Butter Board Ideas
- Pumpkin or apple butter, garnished with toasted pecans, pomegranate seeds and apple slices
- Salted butter drizzled with honey, garnished with berries and slivered almonds
- Peanut butter, topped with shaved chocolate and crushed graham crackers
Savory Butter Board Ideas
- Salted butter + cream cheese, topped with roasted red peppers and sun dried tomatoes
- Salted butter + roasted garlic, garnished with fresh basil, parsley and toasted pine nuts
- Salted butter + feta cheese, topped with olives, artichokes and served with pita points
When you jump on this crazy trend and make this Butter Board Recipe with Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more easy appetizers, try these:
- Edamame Hummus with Homemade Baked Wonton Chips
- Apple Cheddar Crostini with Rosemary Honey
- Wasabi Cream Cheese Spread
For more pesto recipes, try these:
- Creamy Tomato Pesto Pasta
- Sausage & Pesto Calzone
- Polenta Rounds with Pesto Chicken & Roasted Red Peppers
Butter Board Recipe with Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes
- 8 oz. salted butter room temperature
- 12 oz. cherry tomatoes about 2 cups
- 3 Tbsp. pesto sauce
- 2 Tbsp. pine nuts
- 1 baguette sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place tomatoes on a baking sheet. Place baguette slices on a separate baking sheet. Brush the baguette slices with olive oil.
- In a food processor, whip the butter and pesto sauce together until fluffy. Spread onto a cutting board.
- Heat a small frying pan over medium-low heat. Add the pine nuts and toast, constantly moving them around the pan to avoid burning. Remove onto a paper towel.
- Roast the tomatoes for 10 minutes. Then, place the baguette slices into the oven along with the tomatoes. Let everything cook another 10 minutes. Remove both baking sheets.
- Arrange the warm tomatoes, toasts and pine nuts onto the butter board. Serve immediately.