As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com.
This white hot chocolate recipe is so cozy for when you want to warm up on a cold day!
Now you can make this super easy copycat recipe of the Starbucks favorite in the comfort of your own home, guaranteed to get those comfy vibes going.
Hot drinks on cold days are the best things ever! And this delicious drink will keep you warm all winter long.
It’s also the perfect drink for the holiday season. Garnish it with a candy cane or crushed peppermint and it’s so festive!
If you’re trying white hot chocolate for the first time, you’re in for a sweet treat. A nice alternative to traditional hot chocolate, this easy recipe uses white chocolate, steamed milk and a hint of vanilla. So yum.
Let’s make it!
Ingredients for this Starbucks White Hot Chocolate Recipe
You’ll only need four main ingredients to create this Starbucks copycat recipe:
- Milk. The Starbucks version uses 2% milk, but you can use any type of milk you like. Whole milk will be extra indulgent and nonfat milk will save some calories.
- White Chocolate. While you could use white chocolate bars, they tend to be more expensive and really aren’t necessary for this recipe. Go for good quality white chocolate chips.
- Vanilla extract. The natural flavor of vanilla is a perfect complement to white chocolate.
- Sea salt. This is the game changing ingredient!
A note about the ingredients: There are copycat recipes out there that call for white chocolate sauce, vanilla syrup, coconut oil and the like. The original Starbucks version does, in fact, use white chocolate syrup.
These ingredients contain added sugars that are unnecessary and add extra calories. Using the four simple ingredients here will yield a rich, creamy beverage that will satisfy any sweet tooth without any added sugars and syrups.
How to Make a White Hot Chocolate
First, warm the milk in a medium saucepan. We don’t want it to boil. Just warm the milk until you see little bubbles form around the edges and steam rising from the saucepan. Then, remove it from the heat.
Now, pour in the white chocolate chips. Let them sit for about one minute, then whisk them to make sure they’re completely melted.
Finally, stir in the vanilla and sea salt.
You can enjoy your white hot chocolate as is, or use a handheld frother to get it nice and thick.
And topping this delicious white hot chocolate with whipped cream isn’t required, but it’s obviously encouraged.
Variations and Substitutions
- Flavor Enhancements: Give your white hot chocolate a seasonal twist by adding a drop of almond or peppermint extract. Try sprinkling a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg for a warm, comforting touch in the cooler weather.
- Dairy-Free Option: Substitute dairy milk with your favorite non-dairy alternative like almond milk or coconut milk and opt for vegan white chocolate.
- Spiced White Hot Chocolate: Infuse your drink with spices like cardamom, ginger or chai spices for a unique twist.
- Other Types of Chocolate: Follow this recipe using milk chocolate or dark chocolate instead of white chocolate, if you prefer.
Alternative Cooking Methods
Sometimes it’s nice to make a big ol’ batch of warm, cozy drinks. The measurements in the recipe card are enough for 2 servings, so just multiply from there, based on how many servings you’d like.
And while you can certainly do a big batch on the stovetop, here are some alternative ways to get it done:
Instant Pot White Hot Chocolate
- Add all four ingredients to the Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to the “sauté” function and stir until the white chocolate is melted.
- Switch to the “keep warm” setting and stir occasionally.
Crock Pot White Hot Chocolate
- Combine all four ingredients in your crockpot.
- Set the crockpot to low heat and let it simmer, stirring occasionally, until the white chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Keep an eye on the temperature to prevent scalding.
How to Store this Starbucks White Hot Chocolate
Leftover white hot chocolate? No problem.
Transfer the beverage to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. The next time you want to enjoy your white hot chocolate, reheat it either in the microwave or on the stove.
When you make this Starbucks white hot chocolate recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more white chocolate recipes, try these:
- White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Bundt Cake
- Christmas Texas Trash Recipe with White Chocolate
- Chewy Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies
For more Starbucks copycat recipes, try these:
- Starbucks Iced Mocha Macchiato
- Starbucks Grilled Cheese at Home
- Better than Starbucks Cranberry Orange Scones
White Hot Chocolate Recipe (Easy Starbucks Copycat)
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 3 oz. white chocolate chips
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- whipped cream garnish, optional
- Pour the milk into a small saucepan. Warm milk over medium heat until it begins to steam and small bubbles form. Remove from heat.
- Pour in the white chocolate chips. Let them sit in the hot milk for 1 minute. Whisk to combine.
- Whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- Optional step: Froth the mixture using a handheld milk frother.
- Pour the hot chocolate into mugs and top with whipped cream, if desired.