As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com.
Although Starbucks is known for its amazing coffee creations, a cult favorite is its grilled cheese sandwich. Who knew?
I had to create this copycat Starbucks grilled cheese recipe at home so that we could enjoy this golden brown, cheesy sandwich any time the craving hits!
With two different cheeses melted between slices of thick sourdough bread, this grilled cheese sandwich is a super popular choice at Starby’s.
And now you can make this coffee shop favorite right in your own kitchen, at a fraction of the cost!
What’s in this Starbucks Grilled Cheese Recipe
The classic grilled cheese recipe at Starbucks includes the following:
- White cheddar cheese. While you might be thinking of a brick of white cheddar that you’d have to grate, what you want for this recipe is slices of white cheddar cheese. You can usually find this in the deli section of your local supermarket. If you can’t find white cheddar in slices, yellow cheddar is fine to use.
- Mozzarella cheese. Same goes for this cheese as the white cheddar. We want to use slices of mozzarella, and not fresh mozzarella! Fresh mozzarella would be way too watery for this sandwich. Head to the deli section of your grocery store for sliced mozzarella cheese.
- Parmesan cheese. We’re going to mix Parmesan cheese with melted butter and brush it onto the bread for a buttery, cheesy crust. So good!
- Sourdough bread. Try to find a loaf of unsliced sourdough bread so that you can control the thickness of the slices.
How to Make this Starbucks Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Follow these simple steps to make this grilled cheese copycat recipe:
Start by layering your slices of mozzarella and cheddar onto one slice of bread and top them with the other slice.
Melt the butter in a small bowl and stir in the Parmesan cheese. Brush one side of the sandwich with the Parmesan butter spread and place it in a hot pan.
Once it’s in the pan, brush the top of the bread with more Parmesan butter.
Cook the sandwich over medium heat or even medium-low heat to ensure that the cheese melts and the bread turns golden brown.
If the heat is too high, the bread will cook faster than the cheese, and we don’t want that to happen!
To get maximum melt, try placing a lid over the sandwich while it’s cooking. Be sure to check on the sandwich every minute or so.
Find the full instructions in the recipe card below.
Can you use other cheeses?
While mozzarella and cheddar will give you the most authentic Starbucks flavor, there are other types of cheese that make an equally perfect grilled cheese sandwich.
Here are some kinds of cheese that have delicious flavor and good melt factors:
Can you use other breads?
The best grilled cheese sandwiches are made with breads that strike a balance between a soft inside and a crusty outside.
Sourdough is the best choice, but here are some other options to create a delicious sandwich:
- Whole wheat
- French bread
- Gluten-free bread (for dietary restrictions)
Serving Suggestions for this Starbucks Grilled Cheese Recipe
Complete your meal with any of these grilled cheese sides:
- Tomato Soup: Pairing your sandwich with a classic tomato soup is a timeless choice. The combination of hot, gooey cheese and a comforting soup is unbeatable.
- Salad: Balance the richness of the sandwich with a fresh, crisp salad. A simple garden salad or Caesar salad works well.
- Pickles: A side of dill or bread-and-butter pickles adds a zesty, tangy contrast to the sandwich.
- Fries or Chips: Feel like a kid again with crispy, salty potatoes on the side of your tasty sandwich.
Variations on this Starbucks Grilled Cheese Recipe
If you want to get creative, here are some ways to add flair to this classic grilled cheese sandwich:
- Eat your Veggies: Add a layer of thinly sliced fresh vegetables such as tomatoes, spinach, or sautéed mushrooms to your sandwich for a healthier twist.
- Meat Lover’s Special: Try adding crispy bacon or slices of roasted turkey to give your grilled cheese sandwich an extra layer of flavor and protein.
- Get Fruity: Spread a layer of fruit jam like fig or raspberry to make your grilled cheese taste totally gourmet.
- Herbaceous Flair: Incorporate fresh herbs like basil, thyme, or rosemary for an earthy, fragrant twist that takes your sandwich to the next level.
How to Store Leftover Grilled Cheese
Place any leftover sandwiches in an airtight container or wrap them in foil or plastic wrap. Store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
How to Reheat Leftover Grilled Cheese
To recapture the gooey insides and crispy Parmesan crust on the bread, steer clear of the microwave!
The best way to reheat a grilled cheese sandwich is in a toaster oven, conventional oven or even air fryer. Set the oven to a moderate temperature (about 350 degrees) and heat the sandwich until the cheese starts to bubble.
You could also reheat your grilled cheese sandwich in a skillet, covered with a lid.
When you make your very own Starbucks grilled cheese, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more sandwich recipes, try these:
- Italian-Style Chicken Cutlet Sandwich
- Turkey Burger Sliders with Hawaiian Rolls
- Chipotle Chicken Melt with Avocado
- New Orleans Lobster Po’ Boy Recipe
For more Starbucks-inspired recipes, try these:
- Better-than-Starbucks Cranberry Orange Scones Recipe
- Iced Mocha Macchiato Recipe (Starbucks Copycat)
- Peppermint Mocha Sandwich Cookies
Starbucks Grilled Cheese at Home (Copycat Recipe)
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 3 slices white cheddar cheese
- 3 slices mozzarella cheese
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place the cheese slices in between the slices of bread.
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Brush one side of the bread with the Parmesan butter.
- Place the sandwich, buttered side down, into the pan.
- Brush the melted butter mixture onto the top half of the bread. Cook until both sides of bread are golden brown and cheese is melted, about 4 minutes per side.
- For maximum melt, cover the pan for a few minutes with a lid during cooking, checking on it often.