As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com.
Forget about the cookies this holiday season – this Christmas Texas trash recipe is much easier to make and will satisfy every craving you have!
Made with common ingredients and a super simple process, this festive snack mix hits all the buttons. From sweet and savory to crunchy and salty, it’s got it all.
It’s the perfect snack for when you can’t decide between sweet and salty.
Make a big batch of this snack mix I’ve affectionately nicknamed “Christmas Crack” and watch it disappear.
What is Texas Trash?
Texas trash is a traditionally savory snack mix that goes by different names including Texas snack mix and Chex party mix. This popular snack mix is loaded with all the good stuff: a mix of cereals like Chex, pretzels, nuts like pecans or mixed nuts, and an assortment of crackers.
The magic happens when these ingredients are combined and coated with a flavorful blend of seasonings, which can include Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, and a hint of spice from cayenne pepper or hot sauce.
Ingredients for this Christmas Texas Trash Recipe
This holiday version of Texas trash is a little different from the original savory version, with the addition of sweet components. Here’s what you’ll need to make this Christmas trash recipe:
- Corn Chex cereal
- Rice Chex cereal
- Mini pretzels. There are small pretzels and then there are really small ones. Grab the tiniest pretzels you can find.
- Salted peanuts
- Christmas M&Ms (red and green). These specialty M&Ms can usually be found at your local grocery store during the holiday season.
- White chocolate. Use either a block or white chocolate chips. If you use a block of white chocolate, you’ll have to chop it into smaller pieces.
How to Make this Christmas Texas Trash Recipe
Combine the Dry Ingredients
Throw everything except for the chocolate into a large mixing bowl.
Melt the Chocolate
I used to melt white chocolate in the microwave and, more often than not, ended up burning it. If the chocolate burns, you have to throw it away.
You can try to do it in the microwave, but it’s risky, especially with white chocolate.
If you do use the microwave, place the chocolate into a microwave-safe bowl and add a teaspoon of coconut oil. This will help the chocolate to melt more smoothly and reduce the likelihood of burning. Microwave the chocolate in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until it melts.
I recommend melting white chocolate on the stove. If you have a double boiler, use it.
If not, it’s easy to make one: Just fill a saucepan with a little water and set a frying pan with the chocolate on top of it. Heat the saucepan so that the water boils.
The steam from the water will warm the frying pan and gently melt the chocolate at a low temperature.
Combine the Chocolate with the White Trash Snack Mix
Pour the melted chocolate into the bowl of snack mix and toss it around so that everything is coated.
Let it Set
Spread the snack mix onto an ungreased baking sheet. Now, just let it set until the chocolate dries.
Once it’s dry, you can break up the white trash candy into smaller pieces for serving, snacking or gifting.
How to Serve Christmas Texas Trash
This salty sweet treat is so satisfying and pretty that you’ve just got to share it!
- Set it out in a small bowl at your next Christmas party.
- Fill cellophane bags with a little bit of snack mix and tie them with pretty bows for gifting.
- Sprinkle some of this sweet and salty snack mix over yogurt or ice cream for a festive dessert at home.
How to Store Christmas Texas Trash
Keep this sweet and salty treat in an airtight container at room temperature. You could also store it in a large Ziploc bag. This easy snack recipe will stay fresh for up to one week, if stored properly.
When you make this white chocolate Christmas trash recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more easy snack ideas, try these:
Christmas Texas Trash Recipe with White Chocolate
- 2 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 2 cups Corn Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups mini pretzels
- 1 1/2 cups salted peanuts
- 2 10 oz. bags Christmas M&Ms
- 22 oz. white chocolate chopped
- Place all ingredients except for the white chocolate into a large bowl.
- Fill a saucepan 1/4 of the way with water. Set a frying pan on top of the saucepan. Place the white chocolate in the frying pan.
- Turn the burner to medium-high heat. Stirring constantly, melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the cereal mixture and toss to thoroughly combine.
- Spread the snack mix onto an ungreased baking sheet. Allow to set at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Once completely cooled and set, break the snack mix up into smaller pieces and enjoy.