These monkey bread muffins are so much fun to make and even more fun to eat!
Individual servings of the traditional cinnamon-sugar monkey bread that’s made in a large bundt pan, these little treats make a perfect breakfast, brunch or sweet dessert.
Ingredients for Monkey Bread Muffins
You’ll only need 5 simple ingredients to make this easy recipe:
- Canned biscuits (I recommend using Pillsbury Grands). It’s important to get a large kind of biscuit dough for this recipe, which is why I recommend Grands. Also, don’t get the buttermilk kind. Regular biscuits – large ones – are the right answer.
- Unsalted butter
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
How to make Monkey Bread Muffins
First, make the Mini Monkey Bread Muffins
Take your refrigerated biscuits and cut each one into 6 pieces. Roll each piece into a little ball and coat it in cinnamon sugar. Place the dough balls into a greased muffin pan.
Then, melt the butter and brown sugar together on the stove. Drizzle each muffin with the butter mixture. Try to make sure that every little dough ball is coated in the brown sugar butter.
Now, they’re ready to bake!
Then, make the Vanilla Glaze
Wait until your monkey bread muffins are cooled to room temperature, then carefully remove them from the muffin pan and drizzle on the glaze.
Why is it called Monkey Bread?
Monkey Bread gets its name because of the way it is eaten. You pick off the sweet little balls of dough and it resembles how a monkey looks when he is grooming his friend or mate.
If you’ve ever watched Animal Planet or visited a zoo, you know what I’m talking about. Kind of weird to name a food after this, but also kind of funny.
Variations on this easy Monkey Bread Muffin Recipe
There are so many fun twists on the traditional cinnamon-sugar monkey bread that there could be a monkey bread muffin for every occasion! Here are some delicious recipes to try:
- Cinnamon Roll Monkey Bread Muffins. Take the decadence factor over the top by using refrigerated cinnamon roll dough instead of biscuit dough. Drizzle the cream cheese icing that comes with the cinnamon roll dough over the top for more heavenly goodness.
- Sticky Bun Monkey Bread Muffins. Make the miniature version of my Sticky Bun Monkey Bread by adding plump raisins and either pecans or walnuts to this recipe. The sweetness of the raisins and the texture of the nuts make every bite an adventure!
- Chocolate Lover’s Monkey Bread Muffins. Every kid’s favorite, this version incorporates mini chocolate chips into the layers of biscuit dough. Finish the cooled muffins off with a drizzle of warm chocolate sauce.
- Apple Cinnamon Monkey Bread Muffins. A fun treat for fall! Sprinkle diced apples into the layers of biscuit dough for monkey bread muffin that tastes like homemade apple pie
- Pumpkin Spice Monkey Bread. There’s nothing better during pumpkin season! Add premade pumpkin spice or a homemade blend of nutmeg, ginger and cloves to the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Top these muffins off with a warm drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Gingerbread Monkey Bread Muffins: Amazing at Christmas, these muffins have gingerbread spice mixed into the cinnamon-sugar for a true taste of the holidays.
Do these Monkey Bread Muffins need to be refrigerated?
You don’t need to refrigerate these monkey bread muffins. Either keep them in the muffin pan, covered tightly, or transfer them to an airtight container.
They will be good on the counter top for 2-3 days.
How to Store Monkey Bread Muffins
If you have any leftover muffins, simply store them right in the muffin pan that they were baked in. Cover tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and store at room temperature.
Alternatively, transfer the muffins to an airtight container. They will be good at room temperature for 2-3 days.
To reheat these mini muffins, microwave for 15-30 seconds.
When you make these monkey bread muffins, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more muffin recipes, try these:
- Apple Butter Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy Banana Nut Muffins
- Bakery Style Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Coconut Corn Muffins
Easy Monkey Bread Muffins Recipe with Cinnamon Sugar
- 2 tubes Grands biscuit dough not buttermilk or flaky layers
- 1 stick unsalted butter 8 Tbsp.
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 Tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a standard size muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Cut each biscuit into 6 smaller pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and coat in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place 7-8 biscuit pieces in each muffin tin.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Pour the melted butter mixture over the tops of the muffins evenly, coating as much as possible.
- Bake 25-28 minutes. Cool completely before gently removing from the muffin tin.
- Whisk the glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. Drizzle over cooled monkey bread muffins.