Prep Time: 45 minutes + chilling
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Making the Lemon Thyme Pie Crust
But what really takes this Country Blueberry Pie w/ Lemon Thyme Crust from basic to special is the lemon-thyme sugar. It’s a simple mixture of lemon zest, fresh thyme and raw turbinado sugar. The sugar caramelizes onto the pie crust and adds amazing texture, while the thyme adds an earthiness that balances the sweet filling just perfectly. A friend who tried a slice said it was the best blueberry pie he had ever had in his life. That’s a direct quote! I credit the lemon-thyme sugar. Without it, it’s just pie.
Making the Blueberry Pie Filling
Country Blueberry Pie w/ Lemon Thyme Crust
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. salt5 eggs
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp. fresh thyme minced
- 2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- 6 cups blueberries
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt. Cut the butter into cubes. Using a pastry blender or your hands, work the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse sand. Stir in 4 eggs and lemon juice. Divide dough in half and form into two discs. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients and mix well. In another bowl, combine the lemon zest, thyme and turbinado sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unwrap the dough and roll out onto a floured surface. Roll until the dough is 1/4 inch thick. Transfer to a greased pie plate and press gently into the plate, on the bottom and up the sides. Use a fork to prick all over the bottom of the crust. Pour the filling into the bottom crust. Roll out the top crust to a 1/4 inch thickness and place carefully over the pie filling.
- Use your hands to seal the edges of the top and bottom crust together and trim off the excess. Place the pie plate onto a baking sheet. Cut small slits in the top to allow air to escape. Brush the top crust with the remaining egg (beaten) and sprinkle generously with the lemon-thyme sugar. Bake 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely before serving.