This Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad is one of our most-loved salads of summer! It’s fully loaded with creamy avocado, sweet corn and juicy tomatoes.
Finished with a simple honey lime dressing, this black bean salad basically goes with everything.
This time of year, not a weekend goes by that I don’t bring this salad to a barbecue or serve it to our friends and family. It’s always a huge hit!
It’s easy to throw together and tastes fresh and delicious. Let’s make it!
What’s in this Black Bean, Corn and Avocado Salad
Here’s what you’ll need to make this black bean salad recipe:
- Ripe avocado. A great source of healthy fats, avocado adds creaminess to this salad recipe.
- Cherry tomatoes. You could also use grape tomatoes.
- Fresh corn. If fresh corn is out of season, use canned corn kernels.
- Black beans. The main ingredient in this recipe, hearty black beans are a great source of fiber and protein.
- Fresh cilantro
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh lime juice
How to make this salad
Prepare the salad ingredients
Boil the corn in a pot. While the corn is cooking, chop up the tomatoes and scallions and drain the black beans.
Then, shave the corn off the cobs. I like to get those longer sheets of corn, so I lay the cobs down on a cutting board and cut long slices. Then, just toss it all together.
Just before you’re ready to serve this salad, fold in the avocado and cilantro and coat everything with the dressing.
Make the honey lime dressing
Although this easy salad doesn’t technically need a dressing, the very light mixture of honey, lime and a little extra virgin olive oil goes a long way to amp up the natural flavors of all of those fresh ingredients.
Just whisk the lime juice and honey together in a small bowl and slowly drizzle in the oil.
If you’re making the dressing ahead of time, store it in an airtight container in the fridge. Let it reconstitute on the counter for 15 minutes before you dress the salad.
See the recipe card below for full instructions.
Serving Suggestions for Black Bean Corn Avocado Salad
This salad is a delicious side dish for grilled meats, chicken, fish, tacos and more. Here are some of my favorite things to do with it:
- Spoon it over a piece of grilled chicken or steak
- Scoop it up with homemade tortilla chips
- Use it as a topping for baked potatoes
Variations for Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
Here are some different ways to modify this delicious salad recipe:
- Add diced red onion or diced red bell pepper for extra bite and crunch
- Use canned corn kernels if corn cobs are out of season
- Season with cayenne pepper or chili powder for some heat
- If you don’t like cilantro, try fresh parsley for a milder herby flavor
- Add black eyed peas for a spin on cowboy caviar
Can you make this Black Bean & corn salad recipe ahead of time?
You can assemble most of this salad ahead of time, with the exception of the avocado. Avocado will turn brown pretty easily once it is exposed to air. So, when prepping this salad in advance, it’s best to leave out the diced avocado until just before you’re ready to serve it.
The honey lime dressing can also be prepared in advance and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Store it separately from the salad ingredients and let it come to room temperature before dressing the salad.
How to Store Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will last about 3-5 days when properly stored.
The avocado will start to turn color but will still maintain its flavor. To revive the avocado, toss the salad in a little bit of fresh lime juice.
When you make this Black Bean, Corn & Avocado Salad, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more summer side dish recipes, try these:
- Sweet Summer Corn and Scallion Salad
- Bowtie Pesto Pasta Salad
- Spicy Asian Cucumber Salad with Ginger & Garlic
For more gluten free side dish recipes, try these:
The Best Black Bean, Corn and Avocado Salad Recipe
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 avocado peeled, pitted and diced
- 5-6 ears of corn 3 cups
- 1 14 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup scallions (green onion) diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Place the corn in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit 5 minutes, then drain and allow to cool. Once cool, shave the kernels off the cobs using a serrated knife.
- Toss the corn together in a large bowl with the tomatoes, black beans and scallions. Set aside.
- Whisk the honey and lime juice together in a small bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the olive oil until fully combined. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, gently fold the avocado and cilantro into the salad ingredients and toss with the honey-lime dressing. Season with salt and cracked black pepper, if desired.