Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
I don’t often use the words “salad” and “addictive” in the same sentence, but this one kind of is. This Ultimate Fall Salad with Apples, Pecans & Honey Dijon Dressing is a true celebration of the harvest season.
If the sweet and savory candied pecans don’t get you, the Honeycrisp apples will. If the apples don’t float your boat, the crispy, salty bacon or sharp cheddar will surely get your attention. There is something in this salad for everyone, and it will make you a big winner come dinner time.
What’s in this Fall Salad?
A combination of sweet and savory ingredients are what give this salad its addictive quality:
- Romaine lettuce
- Boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Honeycrisp apples
- sharp cheddar cheese
- candied pecans
- thick cut bacon
The only actual cooking you’ll do is the chicken and the bacon. Just lightly dust the chicken in flour and pan fry it in garlic and olive oil. As always, pan fry your chicken low and slow so that it’s tender on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Serving Suggestions for the Ultimate Fall Salad with Apples, Pecans & Honey Dijon Dressing
I always tell people, play to your audience when it comes to the greens. Kale is great for its super food qualities, but it’s definitely more of a “grown up” flavor. So unless you’ve got really sophisticated kiddos (or none at all), opt for romaine.
As for the bacon, I use turkey bacon when I make this salad. But you can certainly use whatever type you prefer. Any bacon is good bacon.
Same goes for apples – I personally love the tartness of Granny Smith apples in this salad, but Honeycrisp apples seem to be more of a crowd pleaser. You should use whatever kind of apples you like – ’tis the season!
And there’s nothing better than apples and cheddar in the fall. Go for the sharpest cheddar you can find. My favorite is Cabot Seriously Sharp.
The Best Honey Dijon Dressing
For more salad recipes, try these:
- Brussels Sprouts Salad with Cornbread Croutons
- Butternut Squash & Kale Salad with Chipotle Ranch Dressing
- Superfoods Salad with Green Goddess Dressing
For more fall recipes, try these:
- Apple Butter Cranberry Muffins with Streusel Topping
- Pumpkin Cheddar Lager Mac & Cheese
- Hearty Chicken & Vegetable Stew
Ultimate Fall Salad with Apples, Pecans & Honey Dijon Dressing
- 3 romaine hearts chopped, rinsed and dried
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese cut into cubes
- 1-2 Honeycrisp apples cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup candied pecans chopped
- 8 strips of bacon
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the chicken breasts in half to make 2 thinner breasts of the same size. You’ll end up with 4 cutlets. Heat olive oil and garlic in a skillet over medium heat, until the garlic starts to sizzle. Coat chicken with flour on both sides and tap off the excess. Place chicken cutlets into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook until both sides are browned and the cutlets can be easily pierced with a fork, about 8 minutes each side. Remove onto a cutting board and slice into strips.
- Place the bacon into the same skillet and fry until crispy. Remove onto a cutting board and dice.
- Whisk first 3 dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble all salad ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over salad and toss together.