As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com.
Get ready for the juiciest chicken thighs with the crispiest skin, smothered in the creamiest mushroom sauce, because this keto chicken thighs recipe really delivers!
We’re searing our juicy chicken thighs in a screaming hot pan until they’re golden brown and crispy. Then, we’re finishing them off in the oven to ensure the perfect internal temperature.
Finally, we’re serving them with a velvety, garlicky mushroom sauce that’ll make you go mmmm.
Perfect for the whole family and well-suited to a keto lifestyle, this easy recipe is sure to be a keeper!
Ingredients for this Keto Chicken Thigh Recipe
A handful of simple ingredients is all you’ll need for this easy chicken recipe.
You’ll notice that we’re using several sources of fat here, which is a hallmark of any keto diet:
- Chicken thighs. The type of chicken thighs we’re using in this delicious recipe are bone-in and skin-on. Chicken with the bone has so much flavor! That said, you can adapt this recipe for boneless chicken thighs or even boneless chicken breast, as long as you keep the skin on. If you use boneless skinless chicken thighs, you won’t get the glorious crispy skin.
- Button mushrooms. These are a classic choice for a mushroom cream sauce, but if you want to try something more exotic, try cremini or portobello mushrooms.
- Heavy cream
- Chicken broth
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh garlic
- Fresh parsley
How to Make Crispy Keto Chicken Thighs
Start Cooking the Chicken on the Stove
Cook the chicken, skin side down, until it releases from the pan. This will take about 5 minutes.
Then, transfer the whole skillet to the oven to finish cooking.
Finish Cooking the Chicken in the Oven
Let the chicken cook in the oven for another 5 minutes, then flip it over. The skin should be a deep golden brown.
Give it another 5 minutes in the oven, checking for an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Now, transfer the chicken pieces to a separate plate. We’re going to use the same pan to make the mushroom cream sauce.
Make the Mushroom Cream Sauce
Melt the butter in the same pan you used for the chicken. Now, throw in the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper.
The mushrooms will release a lot of liquid naturally, so cook them until their liquid is released and begins to evaporate. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
Then, deglaze the pan by pouring in the chicken broth and raising the heat.
Deglazing a pan means that you’re adding a liquid to loosen the browned bits on the bottom of a pan that are left after searing meats. So once you raise the heat on that broth, scrape any browned bits you see on the pan. Those browned bits have so much flavor!
The last thing to do is pour in the heavy cream. Reduce the heat and let it thicken for a few minutes. Now it’s ready to enjoy!
How to Serve These Crispy Keto Chicken Thighs
Plate the chicken thighs and spoon the creamy sauce over top for a truly indulgent and totally keto friendly meal! Here are some other ideas for serving:
- Cauliflower Mash: Replace traditional mashed potatoes with a creamy cauliflower mash. Its mild flavor complements the richness of the chicken and mushroom cream sauce without compromising your low-carb commitment.
- Steamed Vegetables: Steam a medley of green vegetables like broccoli, asparagus and green beans. The vibrant colors and crisp textures make for a refreshing contrast to the savory chicken.
- Cauliflower Rice: Serve your chicken thighs over a bed of cauliflower rice seasoned with salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Zucchini Noodles (Zoodles): For a noodle-like experience without the carbs, serve the chicken and mushroom cream sauce over spiralized zucchini noodles. The zoodles absorb the flavors beautifully while adding a refreshing crunch.
- Mixed Greens Salad: Create a simple side salad with mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, and a light vinaigrette. The salad provides a refreshing and crisp element to balance the richness of the chicken.
Substitutions and Variations
- Protein Alternatives: Swap chicken thighs with other keto-friendly proteins like pork chops, salmon fillets, or turkey cutlets. Be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Mushroom Varieties: Experiment with various mushroom types such as shiitake, cremini, or oyster mushrooms to enhance the depth of flavor in the cream sauce.
- Dairy-Free Options: If you’re lactose intolerant or following a dairy-free ketogenic diet, replace heavy cream with coconut cream or almond milk.
- Fresh Herbs: Elevate the dish by adding fresh herbs like thyme, rosemary or tarragon to the cream sauce for an aromatic twist.
How to Store Crispy Chicken Thighs
Store any leftover chicken thighs in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The chicken will stay fresh in the fridge for 3-4 days.
The best way to reheat the chicken is in a hot pan or oven to revive the crispy skin. Reheating in the microwave may cause the skin to become soggy.
When you make this crispy keto chicken thigh recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more keto recipes, try these:
- Blackened Chicken Tenders Recipe (Popeyes Copycat)
- Cheesy Zucchini Casserole Recipe with Sour Cream
- Herb Crusted Chicken Recipe (Texas Roadhouse Style)
- Tzatziki Sauce (Keto, Gluten Free & Vegetarian)
The Best Crispy Chicken Thighs Recipe (Keto Friendly)
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter 1 stick
- 1/2 lb. white button mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 6 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Heat oil in an oven-safe skillet on high heat. Place chicken, skin side down, into the pan. Cook until fat renders, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the pan to the oven. Cook 5 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook another 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken to a separate plate.
- Place the skillet back onto the stove over medium heat. Melt the butter in the pan. Add garlic, mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook until mushrooms release their liquid, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium-high, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Lower the heat again and pour in the cream. Cook 1-2 minutes, until mixture thickens slightly. Spoon cream sauce over the chicken thighs. Serve warm.