I’ve been making these easy cinnamon chip cookies forever. They’re a holiday favorite!
These delicious cinnamon cookies are light, crispy and not too sweet. If you’re looking for thick cookies like snickerdoodle cookies or chewy cookies like cinnamon roll cookies, this is not the recipe for you.
These cinnamon chip cookies are buttery and flaky, almost like a snap. The dough is made with simple ingredients and is super easy to work with. There’s also no frosting or fancy decorations.
Yep, these easy cinnamon chip cookies are pretty unassuming. But it wouldn’t feel like Christmas without them!
They’re regulars in the annual cookie boxes that I gift to friends and family, beloved because of their simplicity.
Ingredients for these Cinnamon Chip Cookies
We’re using pantry staples in this cinnamon cookie recipe. Here’s what you’ll need:
- All-purpose flour. Gluten free flour can be substituted.
- Cinnamon chips. These are the only “special ingredient” you’ll need. More on that below.
- Vanilla extract
What are Cinnamon Chips?
My first experience baking with cinnamon chips was when I first made these cookies. I didn’t even know that cinnamon chips were a thing. They’re just like chocolate chips, except – you guessed it – cinnamon. And they’re so delicious!
The mixture of Cinnamon chips and ground cinnamon adds an extra layer of flavor and amazing texture that you can’t get by using ground spices alone. I love using them in scones and breads, but these cookies are nearest to my heart because they were the first.
How to Make Cinnamon Chip Cookies
We’re using my favorite baking method! Anybody want to shout it out? That’s right, the two-bowl method.
Combine the wet ingredients
Combine the dry ingredients
In the second bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon chips, ground cinnamon and salt.
Chill the Dough
Combine your two bowls together to form the cookie dough. The dough will be slightly sticky, so be sure to chill it for at least 30-45 minutes.
Chilled dough is much easier to work with, especially when you’re cutting it into shapes.
Create the shapes
Roll out your chilled cookie dough and use your favorite cookie cutters to make shapes. After a simple dusting of raw sugar, they’re ready to bake!
See the recipe card below for full instructions.
How to serve these Cinnamon Chip Cookies
This cinnamon cookie recipe is a favorite recipe of mine during the holiday season, because it’s easy to make and easy to serve. Here are my favorite ways:
1. Gift these cookies. They’re some of my favorite cookies for gifting. They stack nicely and there’s no frosting or decorations that will rub off on the packaging, so you can wrap them any way you want!
2. Serve them on a holiday cookie tray. Their light, buttery texture is simply perfect for a holiday tea party.
3. Keep them all for yourself! If you’re a cinnamon lover like I am, you’ll want to make a double batch so you can enjoy some for yourself.
Can you make this Cinnamon Cookie Recipe ahead of time?
There are a couple of ways to prep this cinnamon cookie recipe in advance:
1. Refrigerate or freeze the dough. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer bag for longer storage. It will last in the refrigerator for up to 1 month, and even longer in the freezer.
2. Roll out the dough and cut it into shapes. Place the unbaked cookies into the freezer on baking sheets for 1 hour. Then, transfer the frozen, unbaked cookies, to a freezer bag. Allow the cookies to thaw before baking.
How to Store these Cinnamon Chip Cookies
Store your cinnamon cookies in an airtight container or large freezer bag. Be sure to seal as much air out of the container as possible. They will stay fresh at room temperature for up to one week.
When you make these cinnamon chip cookies, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more Christmas cookie recipes, try these:
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cookies
- Chewy Oatmeal Cranberry White Chocolate Cookies
For more cinnamon recipes, try these:
- Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake
- Apple Butter Cookies with Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting
- Air-Fried Cinnamon Glazed Donut Holes
The Best Cinnamon Chip Cookies (Easy Recipe)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup cinnamon chips chopped
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- turbinado sugar for dusting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter and sugar on medium speed until fluffy, scraping the bottom of the bowl as necessary. Beat in the egg and vanilla to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, chopped cinnamon chips, cinnamon and salt. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out the dough onto a well-floured surface and cut into shapes. Place onto the prepared cookie sheet. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven 14 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.