These Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies are everything you want them to be – soft, chewy, salty-sweet and ooey gooey on the inside. This comes from the whole Rolo candy that is stuffed inside the dough.
They’re large in size and rich in chocolatey flavor – I doubt you could eat more than one or two at a sitting.
What’s in these Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies
- All-purpose flour
- Unsalted butter. The salt on top of these cookies will be plenty, so make sure you use the unsalted kind of butter.
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar. Doing a 50/50 split between brown sugar and granulated sugar will ensure a chewy texture that stays chewy for days.
- Cocoa powder
- Dark chocolate chips. They give these cookies their rich, chocolatey flavor. In a pinch, semisweet chocolate chips can be used.
- Milk. This recipe only calls for a little bit, so it doesn’t matter which kind you use. Even nonfat milk works fine.
- Vanilla extract
- Flaky sea salt. The sprinkle on top of these cookies is the best part! So be sure to use sea salt, not table salt or anything else. If you don’t have sea salt, don’t use anything at all.
The batter will be pretty sticky, but it’s the trade off for a finished product that is melt-in-your-mouth chewy.
How to make these Salted Caramel Cookies
First, place 1 tablespoon of cookie dough onto a prepared baking sheet.
Then, press the Rolo candy on top. Place the second tablespoon of cookie dough on top of the caramel and use your fingers to seal the dough around the caramel.
How to store these cookies
These Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight container at room temperature. After that, they’ll be less chewy.
If you want the cookies to keep for longer, freeze them within a day of baking them. Freezing the dough also works well.
We love popping cookie dough out of the freezer on a snow day during the winter months – so easy!
When you make these Salted Caramel Chocolate Cookies, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more cookie recipes, try these:
- Apple Butter Cookies with Cinnamon Vanilla Frosting
- Ultimate Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies (Without Butter)
- Best Raspberry Rugelach Recipe
For more chocolatey recipes, try these:
Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies
- 1 stick unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. milk
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 16-18 Rolos
- Sea salt for sprinkling
- Cream together the butter and sugars in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat well.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Slowly add in the wet ingredients and milk. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover and chill the dough for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop cookie dough into 1 tbsp. balls. Press one Rolo into a ball of cookie dough and top with another ball. Press the cookie dough together and smooth the seams so that you cannot see the Rolo at all. Place each cookie onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely on the cookie sheet (they will continue to bake for a few minutes after you remove them from the oven).