Fresh, easy and oh so healthy, this Creamy Shrimp and Avocado Salad is a keeper! Low carb and totally keto friendly, it’s perfect for lunch or even a light dinner.
It’s got crunch from celery, bite from red onion and creaminess from avocado. And don’t forget all of that juicy shrimp! And the dressing is tangy, herby and super satisfying.
As the weather starts to warm up, I love to keep light, refreshing salads like this on hand. You will too!
What’s in this Creamy Shrimp and Avocado Salad
Here is what you’ll need to make this low carb shrimp salad recipe:
- Cooked shrimp. Make your life easy and buy frozen shrimp. If it’s pre-cooked, that’s even easier. If it’s raw, a quick blanch in boiling water will cook it in minutes.
- Mayonnaise. Full fat, always. Low fat mayo does not taste the same.
- Greek yogurt. Now here is where you can go low fat, if you want to. I find low fat Greek yogurt to be very satisfying. If you’re following a keto diet, you’ll want to keep it full fat. You can also substitute sour cream for Greek yogurt, if desired.
- Celery. The tofu of vegetables, it adds great crunch and will take on whatever flavors it’s mixed with.
- Avocado. A great source of healthy fats! If the avocados are overripe (the way we like them to be for things like guacamole), they’ll be harder to dice. Look for avocados are just ripe.
- Red onion. I am not a raw onion person, and even I love it in this recipe. Give it a try!
- Fresh Tarragon
- Fresh Parsley
- Lemon Juice
- White Wine Vinegar
How to make this Shrimp Avocado Salad
The only real work in this recipe is chopping everything up. First, chop the shrimp into smaller, bite-sized pieces. Depending on the size of the shrimp you’re starting with, you may cut each one into 2, 3 or 4 pieces.
Then, dice the celery, onions and avocados. Mince the herbs so that they are fine.
Make the salad dressing by whisking the mayo with the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, white wine vinegar and herbs.
All that’s left to do now is toss everything together!
The exact measurements are down below in the recipe card.
What is the best kind of shrimp to use in this creamy salad?
Shrimp is high in protein, low in carbs and also low calorie, making it a great food for weight loss. But the downside of shrimp is that it can be expensive.
For this salad, you don’t need to break the bank to buy jumbo shrimp. We want the bites to be small anyway. So it really doesn’t matter what size shrimp you’re using as long as it equals 4 pounds.
Can you use frozen shrimp?
Buying frozen shrimp is more cost effective than buying fresh shrimp. You can find frozen shrimp pre-cooked and raw. If you’re using pre-cooked shrimp, all you’ll need to do is defrost it. The best way to do this is in a large bowl of cold water.
If you’re using raw shrimp, simply drop the shrimp into a pot of boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Then, plunge it immediately into a large bowl of cold water.
There are lots of different ways to enjoy this delicious salad! Here are some of my favorites:
- Serve over a simple bed of lettuce as an entrée salad. Romaine and spring mix lettuce are great options.
- Make tender shrimp salad lettuce wraps using soft butter lettuce.
- Top your favorite grilled steaks with a scoop of shrimp salad for a twist on surf-n-turf.
- Serve as a side dish for grilled chicken.
- Stir in a little old bay seasoning and a 1/2 cup of diced bell peppers for a Cajun twist.
Can you make this shrimp salad ahead of time?
You can absolutely make this salad ahead of time. It’s actually a great option for potlucks and barbecues.
Like any other mayonnaise-based salad, the flavors will develop as it sits. An hour or up to one day of chilling in the fridge will help the flavors of this salad really shine.
How to store low carb shrimp and avocado salad
Store this salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Transfer it to a serving or salad bowl when you’re ready to enjoy.
You’re going to love this low carb creamy shrimp and avocado salad! And when you make it, I’d love to hear about it. Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more keto-friendly, healthy recipes, try these:
- Healthy Mediterranean Shrimp Salad Recipe (Low Carb)
- Best Texas Style Chili Recipe (No Beans)
- Thai Turkey Lettuce Wraps
Creamy Shrimp & Avocado Salad Recipe (Low Carb)
- 4 lbs. cooked shrimp chilled
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 3 stalks celery chopped
- 2 avocados peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 3 Tbsp. fresh tarragon chopped
- 3 Tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- Chop shrimp into bite sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the dressing ingredients: Whisk the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar and salt together. Stir in the tarragon and parsley.
- Fold the shrimp, chopped celery, diced onion and diced avocados into the mayonnaise mixture. Sprinkle with crushed black pepper, if desired. Serve chilled.
Leave a Reply