As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com.
Butter Cake is California Pizza Kitchen’s signature dessert. It’s made up of two layers – a cake layer and a creamy cheesecake layer – that are perfectly baked in individual portions, served warm and topped with a simple scoop of vanilla ice cream.
This copycat version of the CPK butter cake recipe is seriously so good, you guys. You won’t be able to get enough of this warm butter cake, topped with a layer of cheesecake, flavored with a hint of vanilla.
I promise, it’s a love at first bite situation.
This is the perfect dessert for a special occasion and one that the entire family will enjoy!
Ingredients for this CPK Butter Cake Recipe
We’re using basic ingredients here, nothing fancy!
Here’s what you’ll need to make the best butter cake recipe ever:
The Cake Layer
The Cheesecake Layer
Special Equipment Needed for this California Pizza Kitchen Butter Cake Recipe
How to Make this CPK Butter Cake Recipe
Make the Cake Layer
Make the delicious cake layer by beating the butter, sugar and cream cheese together. Then, add the egg, vanilla and salt. Finally, beat in the flour.
Measure out 6 tablespoons of cake batter into each of your 6 ramekins.
Use the back of a spoon to smooth the cake layer and make sure it’s as level as possible.
Make the Cheesecake Layer
Simply beat together the sugar, cream cheese, egg white and vanilla. Now, measure one tablespoon of cheesecake batter into each ramekin.
Use the back of a spoon to spread the cheesecake batter evenly across the cake batter.
Bake the Butter Cakes
Now, place the ramekins onto a baking sheet and bake according to the instructions in the recipe card below.
Set them onto a cooling rack when they come out of the oven.
How to Serve this CPK Butter Cake Recipe
It’s important to wait until these butter cakes are completely cooled to room temperature before trying to release them from the ramekins.
Once the cakes are cool, run a knife around the edges before releasing the cakes. They should release pretty easily, as long as you remembered to coat each ramekin generously with nonstick cooking spray.
Now, you can serve your gooey butter cake any way you like! Some of my favorite serving suggestions:
- Whipped Cream: Serve each little sweet dessert with a dollop of freshly whipped cream for an extra layer of indulgence.
- Fresh Berries: Garnish the plate with a handful of fresh berries like strawberries, raspberries or blueberries. This is a great option especially during the warmer months.
- Vanilla Ice Cream: A scoop of ice cream is always a good choice. Warm the cake slightly and let the ice cream melt on top. Heaven.
- Caramel Drizzle: Drizzle warm caramel sauce over the top just before serving to elevate the flavor profile.
Variations and Substitutions for this CPK Butter Cake Recipe
This is a great dessert to experiment with because of its mild flavor and ease of preparation. Here are a few variations to try:
- Gluten-Free Version: Substitute the all-purpose flour with your favorite 1-to-1 gluten free flour blend.
- Try Different Extracts: Swap out the vanilla extract for almond extract or maple extract for unique flavor twists.
- Citrus Twist: Incorporate a hint of citrus flavor by adding lemon or orange zest to the batter.
How to Store this CPK Butter Cake
If you have any leftovers of California Pizza Kitchen’s butter cake, there are a couple of ways to store them:
- Refrigeration: Store the cakes in an airtight container or tightly wrapped with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. They will stay fresh for several days.
- Freezing: For longer storage, you can freeze each individual cake separately. Wrap each piece tightly in plastic wrap and place them in a freezer-safe bag. Thaw them in the refrigerator before serving.
If you find yourself obsessed with butter cake after trying this, you’ve got to check out my Salted Caramel Kentucky Butter Cake. You won’t regret it!
When you make this creamy butter cake recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more copycat recipes, try these:
- Best Snickerdoodle Cookies (Crumbl Copycat)
- White Hot Chocolate Recipe (Starbucks Copycat)
- White Chocolate Raspberry Swirl Bundt Cake (Nothing Bundt Cakes Copycat)
For more of my best dessert recipes, try these:
- Easy Mini Apple Pies (Single Serving Recipe)
- The Best Florida Key Lime Pie
- Best Ever Cowboy Coffee Cake with Buttermilk
Creamy Butter Cake Recipe (California Pizza Kitchen)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 oz. cream cheese room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat 6 ramekins with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make the cake layer: Beat butter, sugar and cream cheese together in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat in the egg, vanilla and salt.
- With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the flour until incorporated. Pour 6 Tbsp. cake mixture into each ramekin.
- Clean the bowl of the stand mixer and place it back on the stand. (Alternatively, do the next step in a separate large bowl.)
- Make the cheesecake layer: Beat the sugar and cream cheese together. Slowly beat in the egg white and vanilla until combined. Pour 1 Tbsp. of the cheesecake batter on top of the cake layer in each ramekin.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake 45- 50 minutes, until tops are golden brown. Transfer ramekins to a wire rack to cool. Once completely cool, run a knife around the edges of each cake to release them from the ramekins.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a scoop of ice cream.