I am getting so into plant-based proteins lately. Why? Cause they are actually so darn good! It’s amazing how these products have evolved just over the past few years. Gone are the days of cardboard veggie burgers being the only meatless option. Lately I’ve tried plant-based beef, chicken, sausage and even chorizo! And my meat-obsessed husband? He loves the stuff. And the kids are more than fine with the yummy flavors and textures that are so close to the real thing. So these Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers have become a welcome addition to our weeknight rotation.
What is a plant-based protein anyway?
A plant-based protein is any protein that comes from sources other than animals. Legumes like beans, peas and lentils are all sources of high-quality protein that also pack some fiber. Soy is also a great source of low-fat protein. Edamame, tofu and tempeh are all types of soy proteins. You can also get protein from nuts like almonds, macadamia and even peanuts.
Some leading products contain primarily soy proteins while others don’t use soy at all. Part of the fun is trying out different products to find out which is your favorite. I’d suggest doing some research online and making a list of products you want to try. If your local supermarket doesn’t carry a particular brand, ask them to! Or order online.
The filling for these Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
In true Tex Mex form, the filling for these Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers is a mix of seasoned plant-based “beef” and Spanish-style rice. Cook the rice in advance so that you have about 2 cups. We’re just using plain white rice, so an easy boil-in-bag type of rice is just fine.
Plant-based meat cooks up similar to real meat, only in less time. Just let it brown and sizzle a little, and then it’s done. Obviously, it’s already “cooked”, so don’t worry about undercooking anything. I prefer my plant-based proteins to be a little crispy and not too chewy, so I like to cook them for an extra few minutes. Feel free to adjust to your personal preference.
The rest is easy. Just mix the plant-based beef, cooked rice and seasonings together. Filling done!
Finishing touches on these Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
Top your stuffed peppers with anything you like. We love using plant-based cheddar, a drizzle of taco sauce and lots of fresh cilantro.
And if you make these Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers, let me know! Leave a comment or drop a rating below. Enjoy!
Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1 10-12oz. package plant-based beef crumbles
- 8 bell peppers
- 2 cups white rice cooked
- 1 cup plant-based cheddar cheese grated
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp. cumin
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- fresh cilantro garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse and dry the peppers. Slice the tops off of the peppers and remove the stems and seeds. Arrange the peppers in a 9×13 baking dish. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Roast 20 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, make the filling: Heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Saute the onion until slightly softened. Add the "beef" and saute 6-8 minutes, until browned. Remove from heat. Stir in the cooked rice and spices.
- Remove the peppers from the oven. Stuff with the "beef" mixture. Place back into the oven for another 20 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over top and bake another 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.