Making the filling for Sugar Plum Hand Pies
Making the Honeyed Ricotta
Sugar Plum Hand Pies with Honeyed Ricotta
Easy summer pies with ripe plums, cardamom, cinnamon & vanilla, topped with sweet whipped ricotta
- 1 package refrigerated pie crust
- 2 lbs. plums
- 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tsp. cardamom
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. heavy cream for brushing
- 1 egg beaten (for sealing)
- Slice plums and remove pits. Bring sliced plums, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cornstarch and lemon juice and whisk until combined. Simmer an additional 2-3 minutes until cornstarch is dissolved.
- Off heat, remove plums with a slotted spoon, leaving the skins behind in the saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Roll out the dough onto a floured surface. Cut 5 inch squares in the dough. You should be able to get 12 squares out of both rolls of dough. Place the plum filling in the center of a square, leaving a 1/2 inch perimeter of dough. Brush the edges of the dough with beaten egg. Place another dough square on top and use a fork to seal the edges all the way around. Cut small slits in the top of the pies to allow heat to escape.
- Place the hand pies onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with heavy cream and sprinkle with coarse sugar and additional cinnamon. Bake 16-18 minutes.
- Whip the ricotta in a food processor until fluffy. Spoon onto the cooled pies and drizzle with honey.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!