Prep Time: 45 minutes + chilling
Cook Time: 1 hour
What is a strata?
Customizing this Sausage, Egg & Cheese Strata
Sausage, Egg & Cheese Strata
A savory breakfast casserole with mushrooms & aged Gruyere, smothered in eggy custard & baked to puffy perfection
- 10-12 slices French or Italian bread
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter room temperature
- 8-10 links turkey breakfast sausage
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 8 oz. white button mushrooms cleaned, de-stemmed and cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup dry white wine Sauvignon Blanc works well
- 3 cups grated Gruyere cheese
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Arrange bread slices in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes. (You are just drying out the bread slices. You can skip this step if you have day-old bread.) Allow to cool and then butter each slice on one side with 2 tbsp of the butter.
- In a nonstick pan, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Once sausage has begun to brown, add shallots. Saute sausage and shallots for one more minute, until shallots become translucent. Add mushrooms and cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Transfer to a bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add wine to the pan and raise the temperature to medium-high. Allow the wine to reduce slightly while scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, half-and-half, reduced wine and parsley.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish with the remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Arrange half of the bread slices along the bottom of the baking dish in a single layer. Sprinkle half of the sausage mixture and 1 cup of cheese evenly over the bread slices. Repeat with the rest of the bread, sausage and additional 1 cup of cheese. Pour the egg mixture evenly over the bread. Cover with plastic wrap, weigh down with another baking dish and refrigerate overnight (or at least several hours).
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle the 1 remaining cup of cheese over top. Bake for 55 minutes, or until edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan. Allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply