What is butterscotch?
How do you make Salted Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies?
These cookies are easy to make using my favorite two-bowl method. Wet ingredients in one bowl: butter, sugar, egg, vanilla and molasses. Dry ingredients in another bowl: flour, salt, oats and leavening. Mix them together and you’ve got cookies. This is a great recipe for beginner bakers!
Salted Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/4 cups oats not instant
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 stick of unsalted butter room temperature
- 2 cups butterscotch chips
- 1 Tbsp. molasses
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- flaky sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a stand mixer or electric handheld mixer, beat the butter and sugar until fluff. Beat in the egg, vanilla and molasses until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the oats, flour, baking powder, cardamom and salt.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the butterscotch chips.
- Drop the batter in tablespoons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 14-16 minutes. Cookies will still be soft, but they will continue to bake on the sheet once they are removed from the oven. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt.