What kind of mushrooms should I use?
Sourdough is the best choice for toasts
Mushroom Gruyere Toasts
Crusty sourdough toasts topped with melted gruyere and wild mushrooms sauteed in sherry and thyme
- 8 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 5 cups mushrooms button, cremini, baby bella or shitake
- 8 oz. cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup gruyere cheese grated
- 1 1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sherry
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup shallots minced
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- Saute butter, mushrooms, shallots and thyme in a skillet over medium heat until browned. Add flour and tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the sherry and simmer until evaporated. Slowly add the chicken broth and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Finish with vinegar. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Heat oven to broil. Place bread slices on an ungreased baking sheet. Broil 1-2 minutes, until bread is toasted. Remove from oven.
- Mix cream cheese and gruyere together in a bowl. Spread onto bread slices. Broil for another 1-2 minutes until cheese is bubbly. Top with warm mushroom mixture and additional thyme sprigs.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Leave a Reply