Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 6 hours (1 hour active)
Crock Pot in the Summer?
How to make the Hot Honey BBQ Sauce
How to make the Crispy Onion Strings
Choosing the right bread for Honey Hot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Hot Honey BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Crispy Onion Strings
Tangy pulled chicken & crispy onion strings piled high on thick-sliced bread
- 2-3 lbs. boneless skinless breasts and/or thighs
- Hot Honey BBQ Sauce
- Crispy Onion Strings
- 1-2 loaves white bread unsliced
The Hot Honey BBQ Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Tbsp. ancho chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
The Onion Strings
- 3 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
Make the sauce:
- In a skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until softened. Add ketchup and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to a boil, the lower the heat and simmer 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until thickened, 10-15 minutes longer. Off heat, use an immersion blender to puree until smooth. Alternately, use a food processor or standard blender.
- Place the chicken into a crock pot on the low setting. Add 1 cup of Hot Honey BBQ Sauce plus 1/2 cup of water at a time until the chicken is coated and saucy. Cook 4-6 hours, then use forks to pull the chicken apart into long strings.
Make the onion strings:
- Peel and slice the onion crosswise as thinly as possible. Separate into rings. Pour buttermilk into a shallow bowl. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large nonstick skillet. Dredge each onion ring in the buttermilk, then the flour mixture, and drop into the skillet. Flip after 2-3 minutes so that both sides are golden brown. Remove onion rings to a paper towel-lined plate. Keep warm.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Slice the bread into 1 inch-thick slices and butter on both sides. Grill over medium heat until both sides are crisp and golden. Pile the pulled chicken and onion strings in between two slices of grilled bread.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!