Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
What you need to make Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
For this recipe we’re using boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cheddar cheese, tomato sauce, taco sauce, onions and bell peppers. The spices are nothing exotic and all things you probably already have at home: garlic, chili powder, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. The list of ingredients may look long, but it’s all pretty basic stuff.
The filling all comes together in a single skillet on the stove. If you have any filling left over, it makes a great topping for nachos!
You’ll also need either flour or corn tortillas. Flour tortillas will be more soft and pliable. You can practically cut the enchiladas with the side of your fork when you use flour tortillas. Corn tortillas will be more sturdy, but also more flavorful. I’ve made them both ways. It just comes down to your personal preference.
How do you keep Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas from getting soggy?
What to serve with Chicken & Cheese Enchiladas
Chicken and Cheese Enchiladas
- 1.5 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 10-inch flour or corn tortillas
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- 1 12 oz. jar of taco sauce
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated and divided
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook the chicken over medium heat in a nonstick skillet, until it is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear. Remove the chicken onto a cutting board and shred it with forks.
- To the skillet, add 2 Tbsp. of oil, onion, green pepper and garlic. Cook until sizzling, about 1 minute. Stir in the sour cream, 1 cup cheddar cheese, parsley, oregano, chili powder, salt and pepper. Heat until the cheese melts. Add the water and tomato sauce and stir until combined. Remove from heat and add the chicken back in.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup of oil in a clean skillet over medium heat. Drop the tortillas into the oil and fry until golden on both sides, about 1-2 minutes per side. Remove onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Coat the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with a thin layer of taco sauce. Roll even amounts of the chicken mixture in the tortillas and arrange them in the baking dish. Cover tortillas with remaining taco sauce and 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.