Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Comfort food is the best, isn’t it? Sometimes you just plain need it. This Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Bake is comfort food at its best, and easiest. It’s a creamy, cheesy and rich casserole that also packs a solid punch of protein and veggies. There’s also no rice or pasta in this recipe, so you’ll save yourself some carbs. Maybe you’ll feel a little less guilty having seconds?
What’s in this cheesy chicken casserole
- boneless, skinless chicken breast
- broccoli (frozen is fine)
- sharp cheddar cheese
- cream of chicken soup
- lemon juice
- plain breadcrumbs
For spices, we’re using fresh rosemary and dried curry powder. Don’t be turned off if you’re not a curry fan. It’s super subtle, and just what this Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Bake needs to make it really special.
You will literally dump everything into a bowl, mix it up, put it into a casserole dish and bake it. Ridiculously easy.
Cook’s Notes for Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Bake
- Opt for full fat sharp cheddar cheese. There is only one cup for the entire casserole, and low fat cheese just doesn’t melt the same way.
- Feel free to go low fat on the cream of chicken soup. You won’t taste the difference.
- Be sure to squeeze as much moisture out of the broccoli as you can before baking. I will usually take the frozen broccoli out of the freezer in the morning and thaw it in a colander in the sink until I’m ready to make the dish. If you’re short on time, just steam the frozen broccoli in the microwave according to the package instructions. Either way, be sure to squeeze the broccoli in paper towels to get it as dry as possible.
For more comfort food recipes, try these:
For more easy weeknight meals, try these:
- Mom’s Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Sesame Chicken & Broccoli
- 30 Minute Saucy Ginger Sesame Noodles with Vegetables
Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Bake
- 2 – 16 oz. bags of frozen broccoli
- 4 cups boneless, skinless chicken breast cubed
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayo
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp. butter melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thaw broccoli and squeeze dry with paper towels. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl except for chicken, bread crumbs and butter. Fold in cubed chicken. Pour mixture into a 9×13 baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine melted butter and bread crumbs. Sprinkle evenly over chicken mixture. Bake for 1 hour.