How is Butternut Squash Soup so creamy?
How to make the Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
Butternut Squash Soup with Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
Creamy and velvety smooth vegetarian soup served with garlicky, cheesy biscuits
- 3 lbs. butternut squash peeled and cubed
- 3 small onions peeled and chopped
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. goat cheese crumbled
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Put onions in the pot and stir to coat them with the oil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the squash, salt, pepper, cumin and thyme and stir together. Cover and simmer another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat again, cover and simmer another 30 minutes. Remove from heat, discard the thyme, and puree until smooth using an immersion blender. If you do not have an immersion blender, puree the soup in batches in a standard blender.
- To make the biscuits, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Stir together the Bisquick, milk and cheese. The dough will be sticky. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and drop the dough in rounded spoonfuls onto the baking sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes.
- Combine the melted butter and garlic powder. Brush the warm biscuits with garlic butter.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and top each bowl with goat cheese. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and serve with biscuits for dunking.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!