This one pan chicken piccata recipe is like the little black dress of recipes. Quick and easy for a weeknight meal, and also elegant enough for a special occasion, this classic Italian dish is sure to impress any guest (even if it’s just your kids).
Chicken piccata was in the regular rotation when I was growing up. My mom worked during the day, so for dinner she prepared easy recipes with simple ingredients that the whole family would enjoy.
Her recipe for this chicken with delicious piccata sauce always hit the spot, and is the base for this One Pan Chicken Piccata recipe.
What’s in this One Pan Chicken Piccata
Here’s what you’ll need to make this easy chicken piccata recipe:
- Skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Try to use cutlets that are of even thickness so that everything cooks at the same pace. Although chicken breast is traditional, if you prefer dark meat you could use boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- Chicken broth. Chicken stock can also be substituted, if desired.
- Flour. To make this dish gluten free, use gluten free flour.
- Dry white wine. Think Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc. These wines have higher levels of acidity and will complement the other ingredients.
- Garlic. Fresh garlic cloves will give this dish the best flavor. In a pinch, you can use the minced garlic that comes in a jar at the grocery store.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
How to Make One Pan Chicken Piccata
First, cook the chicken. Dredge each piece of chicken in a mixture of flour, salt and pepper. Then, brown it in a large skillet in a combination of butter and olive oil.
The sauce will cook down and start to thicken, and that’s when you’ll put the cooked chicken back into the pan.
The final touch is swirling a few tablespoons of butter into the caper sauce to make it extra smooth and velvety. Voila!
How to Serve One Pan Chicken Piccata
This classic dish is super versatile and lends itself to many different side dishes, depending on your dietary preferences. Here are a few ideas:
1. Serve chicken piccata over a bed of al dente pasta, such as linguine or spaghetti, allowing the noodles to soak up that luscious sauce. Try my One Pan Lemon Caper Pasta, the perfect complement to this dish!
2. For a low carb option, accompany this dish with a medley of sautéed or steamed vegetables like asparagus, green beans, or spinach.
3. For a complete gluten free meal, pair this chicken piccata with fluffy white rice or rice pilaf.
4. For a lighter option, serve the chicken with a simple mixed greens salad, drizzled with a lemony vinaigrette.
Any way you serve it, freshly grated Parmesan cheese and cracked black pepper are always the right answer!
Can you Make this One Pan Chicken Piccata Ahead of time?
This is an easy dinner to make ahead for those busy weeknights! Follow these simple steps:
Prep the Chicken
Dredge the chicken slices in flour and seasonings ahead of time. Keep them separated with parchment paper and store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to cook.
Make the Sauce
The combination of lemon juice, white wine and chicken broth can be mixed and stored in the refrigerator. When ready to cook, simply combine the sauce with the cooked chicken and capers.
How to Store One Pan Chicken Piccata
Store cooked chicken piccata in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. This dish reheats very nicely!
When you make this One Pan Chicken Piccata recipe, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more Italian restaurant favorites, try these:
- Chicken Cutlet Sandwich Recipe (Italian Style)
- Pasta with Creamy Blush Sauce
- Turkey Sausage Pasta Bake
For more easy chicken recipes, try these:
- Creamy Stuffed Chicken with Boursin Cheese & Spinach
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajita Bowl
- String Bean Chicken Recipe (Just Like Panda Express!)
Best Ever Chicken Piccata (Easy One Pan Recipe)
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp. shallots minced
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. capers
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- Pound the chicken thin using a kitchen mallet. Alternatively, slice the chicken crosswise using a sharp knife so that each cutlet becomes 2 thinner cutlets.
- Place flour, salt and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk to combine.
- In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt 2 Tbsp. of butter with 3 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Dredge the chicken cutlets in the flour mixture on both sides. Cook in the skillet until golden brown. Remove onto a separate plate.
- Wipe any brown bits off the bottom of the pan and add the remaining 1 Tbsp. of olive oil. Put the shallots and garlic into the pan and saute until softened and sizzling.
- Pour the wine into the pan and simmer until the wine is reduced by half.
- Stir lemon juice, chicken broth and capers into the pan. Bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat until the mixture reduces and begins to thicken, about 3-4 minutes.
- Lower the heat. Swirl in the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter. Add the chicken back into the pan and simmer 2-3 more minutes. Garnish with extra lemon slices and fresh parsley. Serve warm.