Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
How to get the crispiest skin
What is in Tandoori Spice?
Don’t skip the citrus yogurt sauce
Tandoori-Spiced Chicken Thighs
Bold and aromatic spices make this flavorful Indian-inspired dish of roasted chicken and rice
- 8 chicken thighs skin on
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp. paprika
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
The Citrus Yogurt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt I use nonfat, but any kind will work
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 cup of uncooked basmati or jasmine rice
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 shallot minced
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves rinsed and dried
- Combine all dry spices in a bowl. Pat the chicken thighs dry with paper towels. Sprinkle chicken generously with the spice rub, using your fingers to press down so it sticks.
- Whisk the yogurt and lime juice together in a small bowl. Thin with additional lime juice or water if desired. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place chicken skin side down into the skillet. Allow to cook until fat renders and skin crackles, about 8-10 minutes. When chicken releases easily from the pan, flip it over and transfer the skillet to the oven. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the rice: Melt butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat. Saute the shallots until soft. Stir in the rice and coat with the butter mixture. Pour in the broth, raisins and salt. Bring to to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, until rice is tender (about 15-20 minutes).
- Remove chicken from the oven and baste with the juices from the pan. Stir the spinach leaves into the rice until wilted. Place chicken onto a bed of rice and drizzle with the citrus yogurt.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!