There hasn’t been enough queso in my life. Mainly because most restaurants serve their queso dips with chorizo, and I don’t eat pork. On the rare occasion a restaurant has a vegetarian version, I’m all over it. And why wouldn’t I be? Queso is basically a big ol’ bowl of melty, cheesy heaven.
Up until now, making homemade queso has been an easy combination of Velveeta and a can of Rotel. Which is fine, I guess. But this Restaurant-Style 3 Cheese Queso Dip is better.
What’s in this Queso Dip?
We’re using three cheeses to get that smooth, creamy texture and tanginess we love about restaurant-style chile con queso:
- White American cheese
- Cream cheese
- Sharp cheddar cheese
This dip is vegetarian, gluten free and keto-friendly
There’s no need to add flour or cornstarch to this dip. It will get plenty thick on its own if you just let it simmer for about 10-15 minutes on the stove. It will thicken even more as it cools. So what we’ve got is a totally gluten free, keto friendly dip.
If you’re willing to carb it up, the homemade tortilla chips are not to be missed. You guys, these chips are like crack! They’re easy to make and so worth the effort. With just a little sprinkle of sea salt and lime zest, they make any dip just a little more special.
With the Final Four games coming up this week, this Restaurant-Style 3 Cheese Queso Dip will be front and center on our game day menu. Hope it’s on yours too. And hey, if you make this dip, I’d love to hear about it! Drop a rating or leave a comment below. Enjoy!
For more party food recipes, try these:
For more Tex Mex recipes, try these:
Restaurant-Style 3 Cheese Queso Dip
- 8 oz. cheddar cheese grated
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 4 oz. American cheese
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. chipotle pepper in adobo sauce diced
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute the diced tomatoes, ancho chile and dried spices for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Whisk in the cheeses. Allow to bubble and thicken, whisking occasionally, 10-15 minutes. Dip will thicken more as it cools.