How to lighten up an old school recipe
What’s in the Sweet & Sour Sauce?
Mom’s Sweet & Sour Meatballs
Melt-in-your-mouth meatballs in a rich and tangy sauce will become your family's new favorite comfort meal
- 3 lbs. ground turkey or beef
- 1 1/4 cups plain bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cans whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 4 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 lb. egg noodles
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute the mushrooms, garlic, salt and pepper. Once the mushrooms become soft and start to release liquid, pour in the remaining ingredients. Stir well and lower the heat to a simmer. Cover.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the meatballs except for the ground meat. Once all other ingredients are combined, stir the meat into the mixture. Coat your hands in a little bit of olive oil and form the meatballs.
- Uncover the sauce, and carefully place the meatballs into the sauce one by one until all meatballs are in the pot. Cover the pot. Simmer on low heat for at least one hour and up to several hours, gently stirring occasionally so that the bottom of the pan does not burn.
- Boil the egg noodles for 7 minutes and drain. Serve sauce and meatballs over the warm noodles.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!