Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 75 minutes
Pretty sure everyone thinks they or their mother have the best recipe for Jewish Apple Cake. But trust me, I definitely do. And I won’t even be shy about the secret. It’s the orange juice.
Why is it called “Jewish” Apple Cake?
Jewish apple cake is often served at holiday meals like Rosh Hashanah, which is the Jewish New Year. Eating this sweet fruit symbolizes the hope for a sweet new year.
And unlike other apple cake recipes that call for butter, Jewish apple cake uses vegetable oil instead. Because it contains no dairy, it is considered kosher and an acceptable dessert for the holiday.
What is the best apple for Mom’s Best Homemade Jewish Apple Cake?
What’s in this Jewish Apple Cake?
Here’s what you need to make this super thick but simple cake batter:
- all purpose flour
- vegetable oil
- orange juice
Do you have to use a tube pan for this recipe?
Short answer: not really. A tube pan is useful when you’re baking cakes with a delicate crumb, like angel food cake. This is because most tube pans have detachable bottoms or sides, so you don’t have to stress about the cake falling apart when you invert it onto a serving dish.
My Mom’s Best Homemade Apple Cake is dense and I have never had an issue with it falling apart. So while I’d recommend a tube pan because of the more defined shape and simple design, don’t go out and buy one just for this recipe. A bundt pan works fine.
How to store Jewish Apple Cake
My mom is the literal queen of make-ahead meals. She starts cooking for Rosh Hashanah a week in advance. This cake will keep for days on your counter, and it also refrigerates and freezes well.
If you are going to freeze is, I recommend freezing individual slices, first wrapping them tightly in plastic wrap and then bagging them in freezer bags for extra protection.
For more Jewish holiday recipes, try these:
For more apple recipes, try these:
Mom’s Best Homemade Jewish Apple Cake
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 big/3 small apples peeled & thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 Tbsp sugar + 2 tsp cinnamon mixture
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift dry ingredients together in a big bowl. Add vanilla, eggs, oil and orange juice. Mix by hand for 5-10 minutes until very thick.
- Grease and flour a tube or bundt pan. Layer apple slices in an overlapping pattern on the bottom of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Put 1/2 batter on top of the apples. Layer remaining apple slices and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar, followed by the rest of the batter.
- Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes. Allow cake to cool before turning it out of the pan.
Kevin Reeves says
What a fabulous recipe! This cake is amazing!!
One word… TO-DIE-FOR!!!!!!
Yay! So glad you loved it!
Charleen Cesario says
My family absolutely loved this cake! so delicious